Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 AM

Default How to add larger denominations earlier in a tourney

I understand the coloring up process, but I can't find anywhere how to add a larger denomination chip into play prior to it's turn in the color up process.

ie, say I started with $5, $25, $100 chips and wanted to add a $500 or $1000 when the $25 were being colored up to $100.

Would you just have individual players buy the larger chips to get them into play?
How is this handled in a huge tourney like WSOP or WPT events?
TIA
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Re: How to add larger denominations earlier in a tourney

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the coloring up process, but I can't find anywhere how to add a larger denomination chip into play prior to it's turn in the color up process.

ie, say I started with $5, $25, $100 chips and wanted to add a $500 or $1000 when the $25 were being colored up to $100.

Would you just have individual players buy the larger chips to get them into play?
TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

wow....

anyway, don't get too eager to try to color up chips. Unless your structure is VERY fast, you'll need lower denoms, especially if you use antes.

To switch out some of the lowest chips, you're going to have to get the cooperation of the chip leaders. They're the only ones who can afford to give up those chips. Do it at the same time you're coloring up the lower denoms.

Just don't let them get TOO low, they have to supply the rest of the table when needed.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 AM

The structure is going to be fast. My friend is hosting the event and it's gone from 27 players to 50 players this time around and he wants to keep the time reasonable. I guess we'll just deal with it when the time comes. Maybe if there's a dominant chip leader they'd be the one we'd use to introduce the bigger chips.

thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The structure is going to be fast. My friend is hosting the event and it's gone from 27 players to 50 players this time around and he wants to keep the time reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coloring up chips is not the important part for this problem- getting the final blinds correct and making the structure as workable as possible, within the time constraints, is what you need to focus on.

However, you haven't even doubled the chips in play. If final blinds work for the 27, make the new blinds 2 1/2 times as large for the same round and work backwards.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 AM

I would highly suggest starting out by using as few different chips as possilbe. For exapmle don't start out with a 5, 25, 100, 500 stack (actually don't use a $5 chip at all) start out with simple stacks of 25, 100, and 500 chips. this can make the tourney run smooth in MANY ways. If you are giving out say 1500 to eveery player then give one 500 chip, 8 100 chips and 8 25 chips. giving out so many colors is pointless and only serves to confuse palyers and slow the game down.

If you are giving out big stacks like 5k or more add a 1000 chip. try not to make it so complicated and i wouldn't worry about coloring up to "big chips" until the time comes. simply color up the 25 chips when you reach 100/200 (or the first break after you reach this level) and color the 500 chips after you reach 1k/2k blind levels.

As far as how they color up at the WSOP it woudl differ slightly as they use antes so the smaller chips will stay in play longer. I do not recomend using antes in a home tourney, espescially if you do not run a tone of them or have inexpierienced players.

basically don't make it so complicated. the simpler you set up the chip stacks, the simpler the tourney will be to run and the easier it will be for the palyers to play. I have seen tournaments ruined by giving out wierd chip amounts. keep it simple.

that is my advice.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM

Believe me, I have tried to explain this to my friend. My suggestion was to start with exactly what PoWdA said, except using 3 500 chips to make 2500 stacks.

Instead he ignored my suggestion and is using 5, 10, 25, 100 chip denominations and starting stacks of 750. with 5/10 starting blinds.
This is partially due to the number of players and the number of chips available (we only have 400 each of the lower denominations).

I still don't like his structure, but it's his tourney, and if I bust out I can just start the cash games faster.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

wow....

anyway, don't get too eager to try to color up chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA
Old 10-31-2007, 11:27 AM

"I had you posting 5 minutes later, Dr. McCoy."

"You UNDERESTIMATED ME! I'll never let you forget it, Spock- NEVER!"

"I know, that's why I wasn't happy to see you"
Old 10-31-2007, 01:23 PM

I start with 10x T20, 8x T100, 2x T500. As people do rebuys, I either give them one of these 20-stacks (great in racks!), a stack of 20 T100s, and four T500s. When those run dry, I switch to 1000.

For coloring up, I do it either on breaks or when I've busted (yes, I run and play... I set up my structure to have a game I wanted to play, so I'm playing it, darnit)...

If someone just has a massive pile of chips, I'll either slide him a rack and have him load it up, or slip behind him and rack for him if he's the type to take forever with it. Otherwise, I wait until the chips are truly no longer needed.

If someone has three stacks of T20, that's T1200, so I grab three T100 and one T500 from the stack (cuz I'm out by then) and give 'em two T1000 chips. Continue as necessary. It's helpful if you get someone to start "buying up" all the small denomination chips during the round leading to a color-up, but most can't figure that concept out, so I don't sweat it.

I'm making it seem more complicated than it is. Not sure really why you're having trouble or what benefit there is to getting the big chips in play as soon as possible. If anything, it slows down action when you have chips too big for the blinds at the time. Just do it when you have to.

...and if you have 50 people, eventually you're going to realize the benefit of (a) fewer denominations; (b) more chips overall; and (c) racks. It is VERY EASY AND FAST to load/take a rack of T100 and say, "okay, that's T10k, here you go." It's also much better for initial chip distribution and overall storage, not to mention moving people between tables.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I have tried to explain this to my friend. My suggestion was to start with exactly what PoWdA said, except using 3 500 chips to make 2500 stacks.

Instead he ignored my suggestion and is using 5, 10, 25, 100 chip denominations and starting stacks of 750. with 5/10 starting blinds.
This is partially due to the number of players and the number of chips available (we only have 400 each of the lower denominations).

I still don't like his structure, but it's his tourney, and if I bust out I can just start the cash games faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH. The worst idea is to have chips that don't divide into each other. A tourney I visit has 10 chips and 25 chips and it's always a goddamn fiasco, because invariably the blinds are 20/40 and someone puts out a 25 and two 10s and there aren't 5s to make change and . . .

All your chip values should divide into each other. Either do 5-25-100 or 10-50-100 or 20-100 or whatever but 5-10-25 sucks it bigtime.