Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Stars $25NL - KJ on button in multi-way pot?

I got into a strange hand last night and I've been wondering how I should have played it better, perhaps raising on the button and limiting those in the hand, or not at all by folding:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB villain) / ($54.85)
UTG ($22.15)
UTG+1 ($50)
MP1 ($88.90)
MP2 ($40.20)
MP3 ($106.95)
CO ($24.30)
Hero ($34.25)
SB ($48.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]villain)/ raises to $1</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, SB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($6) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">villain bets $2.5</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2.50, CO folds, Hero calls $2.50, SB folds.

Turn: ($13.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villain bets $5</font>, MP3 folds, Hero..

The entire time I played this hand I got a feeling that I was in a pot I didn't want to be in. It wasn't a huge pot, but it was significant because I felt that my moves might have cost me some money. I want my game to improve so I figured I'd post it here and try to solicit some feedback. How would you play this hand?

BTW, I had very little information on villain or any players, this was early into a session and I had seen maybe 3-4 hands.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Stars $25NL - KJ on button in multi-way pot?

I fold the flop. What are you hoping to hit. A 3outer (Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] isn't clean), a TP against a big number of opponents? Although your odds look pretty tasty with more than 4:1 you can't really use them for anything. Turn is a definite fold. Villain seems to be value-betting.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:35 PM

I'm sort of OK limping with this hand on the btn- although I would probably raise to eliminate all the other limpers. Raise it up and take it down w a cbet- lots of dead money from the limpers.

It's hard to play this hand post flop when limped- say you flop your king, TPGK is not a powerhouse hand with 6 people seeing flop. I think by limping in this situation, you only can play for 2-pair, straight or better- and you didn't get a good draw. I'm folding on flop
Old 10-05-2007, 06:44 PM

Ok, this pretty much confirms what I suspected. Bad play plain and simple. What overrode that in my mind was me misapplying "odds", thinking "hey I've only got to spend a little to possibly win a lot", when in fact this is rarely true and probably not profitable.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:49 PM

I hate limping this hand on the button. IN fact I pretty much hate limping any hand on the button. Raise if you want to play it if not fold. IMO PF folding isn't all that bad a play. Pot is likely to be multiway nd KJo sucks multiway.
I would also fold the flop. As played fold turn.
Also, you might get better/ more feedback in the full ring forum because speaking just for myself I don't know anything about FR.