Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Ask Sooga about being a high school math teacher.. ugh

[ QUOTE ]

Questions:
What do you think of the teacher's union?
Do you get a lot of pressure from parents telling you to do things a certain way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I've heard of people taking the math CSET multiple times. You're definitely not alone. As for your questions:

1) I don't know much about it. I haven't had to really deal with them at all, or go on strike or anything, so it hasn't really affected me at all yet.

2) Parents? No. Other teachers/administration? Definitely.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 PM

I feel I can answer some of these questions for Sooga:

[ QUOTE ]
Do any of the hot girls look up to you/flirt w/ you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, he's Asian.

[ QUOTE ]
If yes, is it b/c of your charm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, he's Asian.

[ QUOTE ]
If you really wanted to bang a girl, could you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, he's Asian. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Is it okey to bang your students if they are of legal age? Or would the school likely fire you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, duh.

Just tryin' to lighten your load, Sooga. And before someone else says it, I'll be happy to lighten other "loads" for you as well: I'm sure it looks to OOT like I'm hanging off your nuts but I seriously have so much respect for what you do and you sound like a really good teacher. This world would be so much better off if we had more people like you, which we would if teachers didn't get paid crap and instead of tax dollars building bombs to kill children we used the money to better our own children, err WHOOPS WRONG MEETING!

Brian
Old 08-01-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have any of your students ever offered bribes, sexual favors, etc. in exchange for better grades?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I had a student offer me 5k in hundred dollar bills to change his failing grade. I caught him changing grades in my grade book, and I failed him right then and there for the term. But the class was civics, and he was a senior (he already failed the class once) and he had to pass the class to graduate on time. He offered me 5K in class, and I just laughed at him. The next day he came to school and showed me what looked to be about 5K in hundreds (I didn't count them). I told him to get the hell out of my room and I let my principal know about it. FWIW, my punnishment was upheld my the school, and then the schoolboard. He was forced to attend summer school, and i'm sure he still hates my guts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have any of your students ever offered bribes, sexual favors, etc. in exchange for better grades?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I had a student offer me 5k in hundred dollar bills to change his failing grade. I caught him changing grades in my grade book, and I failed him right then and there for the term. But the class was civics, and he was a senior (he already failed the class once) and he had to pass the class to graduate on time. He offered me 5K in class, and I just laughed at him. The next day he came to school and showed me what looked to be about 5K in hundreds (I didn't count them). I told him to get the hell out of my room and I let my principal know about it. FWIW, my punnishment was upheld my the school, and then the schoolboard. He was forced to attend summer school, and i'm sure he still hates my guts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap! that's crazy... I tell my kids jokingly that if they wanted to bribe me, it'd have to be enough for me to retire off of, because if I got caught accepting a bribe, I wouldn't be able to get another job teaching again. Haha
Old 08-01-2007, 07:19 PM

When he pulled out the stack of bills I almost [censored] myself. And had to take a second and pause to make sure it was real. I never really planned on taking the money, but when your only making 32k a year 5k is a big chunk of green. But, obv I didn't take it. And he showed me the money before first period, so I would have had to walk around all day w that kind of money on me. And the whole time being worried about how he would try to get it back. That, and finding a new job would be a bitch, assuming I would ever be able to teach again.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Jedi (or anyone else who wants to become a teacher),

If you're interested in becoming a teacher but don't want to go through the hassle of getting certified, you can always apply for jobs at private schools. They can hire people that the state can't, and they don't mind hiring people without teaching experience as long as you are personable and friendly.

Actually I can't speak for other private schools but that's how my middle school and high school worked - everyone has to have their contract renewed yearly so they don't mind taking a chance by hiring an inexperienced teacher.

edit: you can't unionize though and parents can be a real bitch to deal with, and pay tends to be a little lower. But kids tend to be better behaved and more interested, so it's really a trade off.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jedi (or anyone else who wants to become a teacher),

If you're interested in becoming a teacher but don't want to go through the hassle of getting certified, you can always apply for jobs at private schools. They can hire people that the state can't, and they don't mind hiring people without teaching experience as long as you are personable and friendly.

Actually I can't speak for other private schools but that's how my middle school and high school worked - everyone has to have their contract renewed yearly so they don't mind taking a chance by hiring an inexperienced teacher.

edit: you can't unionize though and parents can be a real bitch to deal with, and pay tends to be a little lower. But kids tend to be better behaved and more interested, so it's really a trade off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but I'm actually quite in the middle of the process right now. I actually passed the CSETs on my first try (well, all but the Calculus part), so that part is good. I'm not doing this for the pay, so I still might consider it, but I should be able to get certified in a year.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but I'm actually quite in the middle of the process right now. I actually passed the CSETs on my first try (well, all but the Calculus part), so that part is good. I'm not doing this for the pay, so I still might consider it, but I should be able to get certified in a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know when I took the test only the first 2 subtests were required to teach. The calculus part is only required if you want to teach calculus at some point. Not sure if you knew that or not.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know when I took the test only the first 2 subtests were required to teach. The calculus part is only required if you want to teach calculus at some point. Not sure if you knew that or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

for those who need to take the cset, take the prep class. it would be impossible not to pass if you take this class. i studied on my own for the geometry section of the cset and passed but i decided to take the prep class for the algebra section. i honestly don't think i got any wrong. i thought about getting a couple wrong on purpose just so it wasn't too suspicious.

unfortunately, my teaching career only last 1 day. its a long story but if anyone is interested i will answer questions.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for those who need to take the cset, take the prep class. it would be impossible not to pass if you take this class. i studied on my own for the geometry section of the cset and passed but i decided to take the prep class for the algebra section. i honestly don't think i got any wrong. i thought about getting a couple wrong on purpose just so it wasn't too suspicious.

unfortunately, my teaching career only last 1 day. its a long story but if anyone is interested i will answer questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am definitely interested. What happened? <popcorn>