Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 PM

Default how close to you watch the dealer count the chips when you play?

i play mostly online so another live lesson i learned the hard way at the wsop. blinds were 150/300 with 25 ante. i went all-in preflop with KQs for $2,800. i was called only by the small blind with pocket 10's. i picked up a flush draw on the flop so i had 15 outs. i rivered a king so i was quite relieved and the guy next to me said nice hand. i turned and said thanks and the next thing i know i have a pile of chips in front of me.

so i start stacking them. the next hand someone in early position raised and everyone folded so on to the next hand.
as the dealer is passing out the cards, i finish stacking my chips and i realize they seem rather short. i know i should have atleast 5,600 because i was all-in for 2,800 and was called by someone who had me covered. plus there was the big blind plus antes. i quickly count and realize i have only 5,000 chips. i immediately let the dealer know who stops and calls the floor. the floor says we are 2 hands away from the hand and he can't go back and change anything even though every player at the table verified i went all-in for 2,800 and was called. and with the big blind and antes i should have 6,100 but only have 5,000. this is 20% of my stack.

is this really the right ruling? and more importantly, how close do you watch people count out their chips in tournaments. do you really watch every player count their chips when they make a call or bet. i figured the dealer is suppose to verify the chips and this wasn't something i needed to do.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: how close to you watch the dealer count the chips when you play?

The dealer is in the wrong here. That floor ruling sucks. I would file whatever complaint is necessary. harrahs sucks
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 AM

always always always count.

make sure you're getting credit for all your chips, and if chips have already been pulled in, make sure they've been pulled in from all parties before the counting begins.

never assume the dealer has it right.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer is in the wrong here. That floor ruling sucks. I would file whatever complaint is necessary. harrahs sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

also, as a side note, by some weird coincedence, the guy right next to me said he had run the wsop at binions for years. he warned me that the floor would rule against me but said that i should request a ruling anyways. he also suggested i should ask for another ruling from someone higher but again said it wouldn't change anything. unfortunately, he was right on both counts. the only thing that prevented me from complete tilt was that the guy went all-in on some crazy hand only 5 hands later and was eliminated. maybe his conscience was getting to him. he had to know he shorted the pot by 1,100 chips. i refuse to believe that he didn't know.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
always always always count.

make sure you're getting credit for all your chips, and if chips have already been pulled in, make sure they've been pulled in from all parties before the counting begins.

never assume the dealer has it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

but how long do you have to count them? i started counting right after i won the hand but because i had so many chips, it took a minute and we were already on the 2nd hand before i was finished. according to the floor, at that point it is too late.

do you count as the person puts them into the pot? because i also notice that when someone calls an all-in bet and they have them covered, they usually don't count out their chips until after the hand and only if they lose.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:54 AM

mj,

count with the dealer if necessary. they're your chips. keep an eye on them.

i mean, it sucks that you got shorted, and i feel for you, certainly. but keep an eye on your chips.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 AM

I try to always count and I'd say I catch a mistake once every 8 or 10 hours of live tournament play. Which probably means one is made around every 2 hours. Definitely pay close attention if you can.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Live poker's rigged.