Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 PM

Default PHIL GORDON!!!!!!!!!!

Is a douche.

That is all.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: PHIL GORDON!!!!!!!!!!

why?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM

After seeing him on PAD and other shows recently (commentating on the Full Tilt equalizer), I cannot believe anyone takes him seriously. His hands shake like a complete newbie when he plays, his grasp of the game seems elementary at best and he seems very defensive and insecure.

I also am astounded people pay money for his books - get SSII, harrington and sklansky - then play. It's cards for crying out loud - not grandmaster level chess.

But IMHO Konik is an even bigger douche.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:30 PM

"But IMHO Konik is an even bigger douche."

I really enjoy his books. His lastest one "The Smart Money: How the World's Best Sports Bettors Beat The Bookies Out of Millions" was very interesting.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Konik - In regards to poker commentating and playing i meant - i know there has been a boom and lots of undeserving people get swept up (see e.g., clonie gowen) - but its still annoying.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his grasp of the game seems elementary at best

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree strongly with that.

I don't think a whole lot of Konik's ability, though, especially his willingness to give up tons of ChipEV in order to stay alive.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Just never seen anything that impressed me (either in his commentary or play) - does he play superhigh limits somewhere and win to support himself like a true pro player, does he have some impressive recent wins in big open field tourneys? I mean I am not saying he couldn't be some secret zen master at the game - but, results matter, and even Chad Brown seem way better on that score. Just don't understand where all the love for Phil comes from.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 PM

I saw him on PAD, and I lost any respect I had for him in this one hand where he had A2, made a standard PF raise, and Kaplan called from the BB. The flop was AAK, and Gordon might of made a continuation bet which Kaplan called, or he checked (I forget). The turn was a K, and they both checked. The river was a K, Kaplan bet about 1/4 of the pot, and Gordon hemmed and hawed for a while. "I let you get there with your King, didn't I....yada, yada, yada." He finally did call, but the fact that he did not INSTACALL there (with the stack sizes) was pretty sad. I really thought that he was going to fold.

While thinking, he started talking about how Daniel can make big laydowns like this, and stuff like that. The way he acted while almost folding made it seem like he had no idea what he was doing. The whole sequence was pathetic. Of course, the other players ripped him good for taking so long and almost folding.

Edit: After reading my post, I have to say that I can't say the guy sucks based on one hand, but I just found it mindboggling that a "pro" would hem and haw like he did in this spot. This was one of the only hands of his that I saw during the show.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 PM

lol @ this thread.

Watching Phil Gordon this past week on PAD made me vomit in my mouth like every time. His style or lack of just come across as very douchey. He seems like he is full of himself, I don't know why. His fluffy hairdo and 3 buckteethy smile also angered me.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw him on PAD, and I lost any respect I had for him in this one hand where he had A2, made a standard PF raise, and Kaplan called from the BB. The flop was AAK, and Gordon made a continuation bet which Kaplan called. The turn was a K, and they both checked. The river was a K, Kaplan bet about 1/4 of the pot, and Gordon hemmed and hawed for a while. "I let you get there with your King, didn't I....yada, yada, yada." He finally did call, but the fact that he did not INSTACALL there (with the stack sizes) was pretty sad. I really thought that he was going to fold.

While thinking, he started talking about how Daniel can make big laydowns like this, and stuff like that. The way he acted while almost folding made it seem like he had no idea what he was doing. The whole sequence was pathetic. Of course, the other players ripped him good for taking so long and almost folding.

Edit: After reading my post, I have to say that I can't say the guy sucks based on one hand, but I just found it mindboggling that a "pro" would hem and haw like he did in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the easiest call in history. What a nit, he put kaplan on QUADS!!! I wanted to smack him through the tv.

Another time, I don't remember the hand but he totally incorrectly called out the percentages of a hand on the flop. I wish I could remember.