Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Flopped straight on all diamond board

It's a live £10 (approx $20) rebuy tourney.

Down to the final 25 or so players. The blinds are at 350/700 (rising every 20 minutes), and I have approx 13,000 chips.

I'm sitting in the BB, and a guy (approx 7,000 stack) who had been playing pretty loosey-goosey opened with a raise to 2000, 2 off the button. The button thought for a bit and then called (his stack was approx 14,000). In the BB, I decide to take a flop for an extra 1300 with 4c 5c. (Loose, I know, and most probably flat out wrong, but let's ignore that for now.) So there's 6350 in the pot.

The flop comes Ad 2d 3d

I'm first to act. What should I do?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Flopped straight on all diamond board

I'd probably bet pretty big.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 AM

Preflop as you already mentioned is a fold (or a push as a restealer), but calling oop with your stack is not good.

Nevertheless flop is good for you, and you have to bet enough, that you protect your hand against a draw, but not too much to chase a high ace off - remember the board is scary for everyone.

Pot is 6350 and you have 11k left - so I'd bet half of my remaining stack - 5,5k - here.

Checking is not an option for me here, too risky that it is checked through and you really don't want to give a free-card.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop as you already mentioned is a fold (or a push as a restealer), but calling oop with your stack is not good.

Nevertheless flop is good for you, and you have to bet enough, that you protect your hand against a draw, but not too much to chase a high ace off - remember the board is scary for everyone.

Pot is 6350 and you have 11k left - so I'd bet half of my remaining stack - 5,5k - here.

Checking is not an option for me here, too risky that it is checked through and you really don't want to give a free-card.

[/ QUOTE ]I also really want to PSB this flop. When you suggest bet the flop, in a loose game people might just call. Can you possibly fold this hand on the turn if another flush card appears. I think any flop bet pot commits hero so I think he should just open shove the flop. The pot is big enough to be worth winning right now. Also I doubt anyone is folding a flush draw on this flop so hero will likely get called. Villains will be surprised at how strong hero's hand is and hero gets all the money in as a favorite.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the input.

Here's what happened next (feel free to criticise my play at any stage):

I led out with a bet of 2500. The original raiser, after a moment's thought, pushed all in for precisely 4750 (so 2250 more). The button pondered for a good few seconds and then called. Back to me, with 2250 to call. What next?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I led out with a bet of 2500. The original raiser, after a moment's thought, pushed all in for precisely 4750 (so 2250 more). The button pondered for a good few seconds and then called. Back to me, with 2250 to call. What next?

[/ QUOTE ]

So . . . your bet gave any FD the odds to call. A near-PSB might have folded the OR, who would have been calling AI rather than raising AI . . . big difference. Button came along for the ride, and now YOU have the odds to call, against 2 opponents rather than one or none.

I think you could be up against a lot of things here, most of which you beat. If you push, Button is very likely to come along for the ride, so now that you have come this far, get your money in the middle and hope for 0 or 2 more Diamonds.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM

push...don't like re but once you get there...take control and extert pressure
Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Preflop is really bad, but you already know that, and your bet size on the flop was pretty much as bad as it could have been. Ideally you should have bet much closer to pot sized to give flush draws the wrong odds, even shoving here would be reasonable.

The reason your bet size is truly terrible is that it doesn't even give you the option to reraise once it comes back to you because the shortstack couldn't double the bet. Leading out for 2250 would have still been pretty bad as it gives flush draws really good odds but it would have meant that you were able to reraise if the shortstack shoved.

As played I think you have to call the flop (unless the dealer is rubbish and allows you to reraise, in which case shove) and shove any non-diamond turn.