Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Lamentations from a life long Cleveland fan

[ QUOTE ]
I would have figured people would be more bitter about losing to the Marlins in the '97 World Series. They were just a game away, too.

Mind you... that is probably one of my most exciting finishing series' to any sport to watch (with the exception of '01 Yanks-D-Backs).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still bitter about that. Omar Vizquel is too. Him and Mesa still have a war of words (and pitches and hits) over it.

KJS
Old 04-26-2007, 03:57 PM

I feel your pain. The only tonic I have found is to root like hell for the Indians and completely blow off the Cavs and Browns. It helps that I just don't like those sports. My other Cleveland buddies here in Seattle go to the Browns bar every week and get together for all the big Cavs games and they are gutted regularly about those teams.

Of course, I'll jump on the bandwagon if the Cavs or Browns get to a finals/Super Bowl because I know what it means for my Cleveland homies.

Great bit from the Tribe broadcast last night when the Cavs game let out and all these fans showed up at the Jake in the 8th chanting "Let us in! Let us in!". They announcers never said if they got in. I hope they did since the Tribe got the walk-off win in the 11th.

KJS
Old 04-26-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hockey-
Buffalo - Never (since 1970)
Cleveland - Never (no team)
Philadelphia - 1975

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be a nit or nothin, but Cleveland has had an NHL team. and then we folded. holla.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:26 PM

I feel you brother. My 18 years of life (all spent in Cleveland) have given me the same mindset.

Gotta have faith...that's what sports is all about.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:17 PM

I'm going to put forth the Minnesota Vikings for consideration as the sorriest sports franchise of all time.

Get blown out 4 times in the SB- 69, 73, 74, 76.

A loss at home in the 1975 NFC Championship to a last minute Staubach-Pearson Hail Mary in which Pearson gets away with a ridiculous push-off.

1998 team goes 15-1 and loses as heavy favorite to the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC Championship when Gary Anderson misses his first FG of the year(from 38 yards with 2 minutes left, up 7) and Atlanta comes back to win in OT.

2000 team is EMBARASSED in the NFC Championship by the NY Giants, 41-0. 41-0. 41-0. 41-0.

2003 team only has to beat Cade McNown and the pathetic AZ Cardinals to make the playoffs, up 17-6 with a few minutes left the Cardinals score, recover onsides kick, then score the game winning TD on 4th and 25 from the 28 as time runs out.

etc etc, we choke every year.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Don't forget Buffalo had the Clippers before they moved out west.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Browns have a solid shot at picking up Adrian Peterson, a player who could significantly change the landscape of the new worst franchise in sports

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to use the number 3 pick on an injured RB in a draft with
A. The best wide receiver prospect from both a character and athletic standpoint in the last 20 years

B. A stud Left tackle

C. Two highly touted QB prospects

then you need to reevaluate your football knowledge.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM

MrFeelNothin & Tolbiny,

Well put both of you.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM

or, if you want to use the #3 pick on a quarterback that no one else in the top 6 wants, while there's one player that teams 4, 5 and 6 seem to significantly want available at #3...

yeah.

i'll be borderline livid if we draft quinn at 3. if we draft him at 4 or 5 after a trade, not so much, that's fine. we got our man, we got something else too.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:39 PM

God I hate people who complain about their team losing in the championship game.

"
the fact that philadelphia has had all of its major sports teams in the championship game, some of them several times, in the last 20+ years and has failed to win one sounds worse to me. "

Yeah, [censored] you. Cleveland has had 2 championship APPEARANCES in the past quarter century. Between 3 sports. And a whole ton of those years we were just terrible.

For a casual fan who simply doesn't care about the team when it's losing, yeah, losing in the championship game hurts. But that's because you've never experienced anything like following the late 80s Indians or late 90s Cavaliers. I'm also a Buckeyes fan and I loved last year for both football and basketball.

Also, Thremp, I'm not sure what you mean by that. What does Vick have to do with the relative intelligence of drafting Peterson or Quinn?