Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 AM

Default My game is SO bad right now.

After working my way back down to the low 80's over the last week or two, en route to single digit handicap wondefulness, I took a big step backward with a 50-43=93 at a course I worked at and know well (even though we played in the rain - no excuse.)

My swing has gone from feeling like an unfolding lawnchair to a collapsing chaise, and I am just hoping I run across the Mexican Mac O'Grady to get me to put my change in one pocket, a tee in the other, and get me just playing golf again.

I would like to ask a couple things - what kind of drills do you guys to do get your swing back on plane/find the slot on the way down. I've had some swing quirks that I used to ignore as a younger player, but now I can't get mechanics out of my head on the course, and if I'm spraying it I have trouble pitching/chipping/putting effectively because I feel an awkward intensity to score.

I could write a chapter on my last couple of years, which have seen my game deteriorate faster than Duval, Finch, or Beck, but I really feel my talent still is there and I should be shooting some low scores soon.

Help!

- Jay
Old 05-17-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: My game is SO bad right now.

I have a weighted club (like the momentus) I swing everyday. Very helpful. Try hitting 9irons on the range half your normal distance but with a full swing to try and get some rhythm and confidence. If none of that works try reading some "mental game" books as this seems to be your main problem. I'm sure someone can recommend some as I haven't read any. Good luck!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Sometimes when you're this messed up it's best to take a week or two off without even touching a club.

I'm not saying it's always the way to go, but it has helped me in the past when I was struggling.

Post a video of your swing...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 PM

Not easy for me to say because I have the opposite problem. When my game goes bad it is because I'm playing too much by feel and not paying attention to mechanics. But you are paying too much attention to mechanics.

I would say your best scenario is to slowly start to simplify your swing thoughts. Start by thinking about your set-up and then something like, "back on plane and through." Keep going down to a tempo thought only. A "nice and easy." With your main goal to be thinking more about the shot then the form of your swing.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel an awkward intensity to score

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where poker can help your game. The only thing you can control is the shot at hand. Make the best decision and execute. If it goes wrong or right you just move on to the next shot and the next decision. Keeps some of the scoring thoughts out of your head. Some of my best rounds are ruined by me thinking, well if I can birdie these last two holes, I'll be even on the front.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I got out of work early and hit the range. I have been playing mostly so far this year, and not practicing effectively. I decided to go to the range and, like the last poster suggested, start simplifying things.

So I'm back to basics, the fundamentals. I used my preshot routine before the majority of swings, and focused mainly on set-up and the target. And, most importantly, not trying to micro-manage my swing, and just make good swings, centered, in balance, and on plane.

It worked for the most part. I am playing tomorrow morning, and I am looking forward to it. One thing I found was that while swinging out of tempo, everything was out of psynch. I focused on trying to get my left and right sides working together, which really helped my swing more in rhythm.

I also hit some balls with only my right hand, and then some with only my left. This really helped me focus on turning back and through, and when I went back to the full swing, I really felt both sides working together.

This should help me focus more on playing golf tomorrow. I also found these drills and this type of practice to help my short game as I chipped and putted after the range session.

Thanks again, guys, updates to come!

- Jay