Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Calling an all in on an open ended straight draw - mistake?

I play in a local, free MTT league, just trying to get some experience before moving on to bigger and better things. I'm one of the few people there that's really trying to get better. Most players just play (terribly) for fun, but there are a handful of solid but seemingly stagnant players (a few semi pros and dealers mostly) that seem to play only so they can criticize everyone else.

I wound up in a hand against one of these solid players, ended up winning, and have had to hear him insult me over it for the past week, so I thought I'd ask for some feedback:

The blinds go up in these tournaments every 15 minutes with no antes. We were at 200/400 (though it was about to go up to 300/600 within a minute or two) and I was in the small blind with 5-3 off and 4200 in chips (after posting my SB). The villain is on the button and the big blind is a woman who rarely ever raises. There are 3 limpers in front of me, so I complete my small blind. As expected, the BB doesn't raise. The pot is 2000.

The flop comes 10-2-4 rainbow. I semi bluff and bet half the pot, expecting everyone else to fold. It folds around to the villain who pushes all in with his stack of ~6-7000. I have 3000 left in front of me. I'm getting 2.5-1 pot odds, which I know isn't what I need but I've already put in a quarter of my stack and my M will quickly be in the red zone if I fold. So I make the call, the villain turns over K-10, I hit my 6 on the river, get insulted for it, and continue to get insulted for it.

This guy clearly knows a lot more about poker than me, so perhaps I'm missing something. In retrospect, only my semi-bluff seems questionable to me. Any feedback on any part of the hand is appreciated.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Calling an all in on an open ended straight draw - mistake?

I may be reading this wrong but you state that the pot after pf action is 2000. Then on the flop you bet 1000 leaving a pot of 3000. At this point villian shoves but he is only effectively shoving what you have left behind not his whole stack. This means he is shoving 3000 into a pot of 3000 giving you 2-1 to call. With 2 cards to come the odds of hitting an OESD are 2.17-1.

Also I'd be very inclined to fold this pf. You're about to be on the button and can open shove to steal blinds. I like saving any chips to help with a double up and FE. It's a live tourney people are always scared of the open shove.

All of that said once you call and get this flop I can't see laying it down as short as you are. Especially after you lead the flop. The guy who is insulting you is just a poker whiner and you better get used to it because you will continue to encounter them as you keep playing.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the advice, Blue. I usually fold mediocre hands when I'm short stack and just wait for position and/or a decent hand to shove, but the pot odds and relatively small percentage to call looked promising.

Unfortunately, I think the all in shove loses a lot of value in my league since it's free poker and you will often get multiple callers who hold weak aces and the like.

And some clarification (apologies for not using the standard format in my initial post): The villain essentially bet 4000 of his chips post flop, since he also had to call my initial 1000 bet as well as putting my remaining 3000 in. With my 1000 bet, the pot was at 3000. With his all in, the pot was raised to 7000.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM

don't love a bet like your semibluff with your stack...2K in the pot and you have 4200 back...I think if I decide I can take the pot down I will just open push and put the pressure on the others...bet folding sucks and this is as good a flop as we could ask for...