Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 05:35 AM

Default 100 NL: Is this really the best way to play AKs?

Very common spot. It seems this is the way you are "supposed" to play AKs. It seems every time they either fold, or flip over AA (about 50/50 each). So is this really the best way to play AK? Do they not either get away from their hand, or stack me? (villain 20/16/2)

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $137.55
BB: $101.80
UTG: $112.25
MP: $23.35
CO: $209.45
Hero (BTN): $100

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $3.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $36</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $100 and is All-In</font>, CO calls $64
Old 11-28-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: 100 NL: Is this really the best way to play AKs?

You'll get many calls here from jacks and up, from what I've seen at .50/1 (which is what I play at). It's not a terrible strategy. It's clearly a high volatility play, but I doubt you're losing very much doing this.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 AM

yes. this is the best way
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 AM

This really depends alot on your image, villain's image, reads and history. At $100 especially, preflop play is generally very passive with 4-bets often being restricted to AA/KK/AK.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM

Yeah, this is standard. I guess some gameflow/image dynamics might make this a fold at 100nl, but generally this is the way to play it.

Edit: I want to say I don't play 100nl, so if the 4-betting ranges of a seemingly decent TAG is as tight as you guys say folding preflop should def be considered. In my games the way this hand was played out is standard...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 AM

Nothing is standard, it all depends on villains.
1) Someone provide math or I'll do it after work for the case that CO will only call with AA/KK and the blinds do not act at all
2) For the sake of argument discuss calling the 4bet, calling the raise and folding to the 4bet.

I'll start and provide the following on "calling the raise" to get a discussion going:
With agressive, thinking players in the blinds, tend to call the initial raise and shove over a squeeze.
Reasoning: We can assume that CO opens somewhat wide, blinds can figure this out, too. Blinds can also assume we call somewhat wide here. If the BB squeezes this is of course a less strong hand on average than if the SB squeezes.
If there is no squeeze we still get to play a hand that plays well in position, with multiple callers we have good IOs for the flush and HU we have a strong HU hand.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I should have said this way to play the hand is standard imo given the information you've provided on your opponents, meaning this is the way you should play the hand the majority of the time but not always as you need to mix up your game sometimes vs thinking players.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, this is what we mean when we use the words "standard" on the forum.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:07 AM

With just stat (not donkeystats) and no history, I find a fold here.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With agressive, thinking players in the blinds, tend to call the initial raise and shove over a squeeze.
Reasoning: We can assume that CO opens somewhat wide, blinds can figure this out, too. Blinds can also assume we call somewhat wide here. If the BB squeezes this is of course a less strong hand on average than if the SB squeezes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I generally really like this line, but it's not often correct at 100nl. With specific reads that the blinds like to squeeze it's nice though.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I should have said this way to play the hand is standard imo given the information you've provided on your opponents, meaning this is the way you should play the hand the majority of the time but not always as you need to mix up your game sometimes vs thinking players.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, this is what we mean when we use the words "standard" on the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I agree.
I just happen to teach poker to some friends at the time and they alway like to ask for "standard" plays and I get the feeling that they are likely to prefer the standard line over thinking situational ("going on autopilot"). Happens to me all the time so I just felt like pointing it out. The intention was not to mock anyone so sorry if it sounded like that.