Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread

No, I had to sweat it out over the radio while I was on my way down to the Red Sox/Rays game yesterday. I was right on about the Gators having a tough game. I'm about to start watching the tape so I'll give some in depth analysis.

Urban Meyer is now 0-8 on the road covering the spread. We're great at ball control and gave the defense a chance to rest/stay together. From what Tebow said they just took what the defense gave them but I'll see if we could of had some bigger/better drives. I know in that first drive Harvin just dropped a pass that would of been first and ten inside the 20 and then we missed the FG, gave Ole Miss a lot of momentum.

Tim Tebow carried the team on his back & the defense actually played OK bending and not breaking. We stopped the run & that was our game plan. Tebow is off to a better start than Rex was when he was robbed of the Heisman.

Anyways, I'll let you know ASAP but a win is a win, and it's important to see a young team win a game like that. I think we're going to roll this weekend vs Auburn.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was right on about the Gators having a tough game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
UF 38 Ole Miss 17

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This is the first road/trap game for most of the players on the UF team. If they start fast with more special teams plays, big plays, etc then UF could win by 50, but it's a bit more likely Ole Miss hangs around at first & then UF cruises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, your team won. Do you really have to pretend you did everything right too? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Ole Miss' Dustin Mouzon said, "I have to commend Tim Tebow because he is like a brick wall. I came up to hit him and I kind of got hurt."
Old 09-23-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was right on about the Gators having a tough game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
UF 38 Ole Miss 17

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This is the first road/trap game for most of the players on the UF team. If they start fast with more special teams plays, big plays, etc then UF could win by 50, but it's a bit more likely Ole Miss hangs around at first & then UF cruises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, your team won. Do you really have to pretend you did everything right too? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I don't know what you're getting at. I thought it would be a tough game for UF if they didn't come out fast. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It could of been a lot different, 50 yard opening KO return by Brandon James, few nice first downs & then Harvin drops an easy first down inside the 20, miss the FG & decent field position for Ole Miss. It was a game where we just worked the clock/ball control to keep the pressure off of the defense so we weren't going to see us score 60 points.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:02 PM

Also, we had Riley Cooper & Bubba Caldwell out our 2 biggest deep threats, hence the gameplan underneath passing. They'll be back this week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2007, 11:25 PM

I'll give some analysis when I finish getting the game but:

"With 5:09 left in the third quarter the Gators led the game 27-9, and Ole Miss just received the ball after a kickoff. In the next 5:02 Ole Miss scored 15 points. 2 Major defensive breakdowns, 141 yards, and a poor offensive possession sandwiched in between was why the game was close.
Over the next 15 minutes the Gators held onto the ball for 11:09 seconds and allowed 2 drives by Ole Miss. 1 led to an INT after 6 plays of 7 yards over 1:52, and the other ended on downs after a 5 play 17 yard drive that consumed only 1:45."

It could of easily been lopsided especially with the missed FG & a easy dropped first and ten inside the twenty by Percy Harvin.

From what I've read, the Gators never tried to go down field because they were without Bubba/Riley & Ole Miss just played a big umbrella D most of the game. We were without 4 of 11 offensive starters vs Ole Miss. Pouncey did get in the game though.

In other words, if we don't kill ourselves with penalties/silly mistakes & blow that coverage, it's much more lopsided.

I think this type of game bodes well for the Auburn game & the LSU game where we going to have to change gears depending on the defense. We should be able to play a more ball control offense vs LSU to help keep their offense off the field and keep the pressure off of the D. Getting 2 of our top 4 WRs back will be huge as well. They both should play vs Auburn near or at 100%. I expect to see more touches for Moore vs Auburn especially so Tebow doesn't have to run as much & to hopefully open up the deep ball.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:10 AM

UF/Auburn is at 8 on ESPN. Yay finally a night game, sorry Auburn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bama/FSU is at 5 on CBS.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 AM

5 on CBS????? wow...that's a different start time for CBS

stupid Illinois-Penn St is at 11 AM local time
damn conference gets its own network, yet sticks with the crappiest start times
Old 09-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Yeah Urban's offense is pretty decent for ball control, esp. with a QB that is a threat to run on any down. Its hard to stack the box because then you start leaving guys 1 on 1 with the likes of Caldwell, Harvin, and Cooper...it will be interesting to see the gameplan against LSU. Of course, LSU is probably the best D we see all year, although they've shown a bit of susceptibility to the pass.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5 on CBS????? wow...that's a different start time for CBS

stupid Illinois-Penn St is at 11 AM local time
damn conference gets its own network, yet sticks with the crappiest start times

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's unreal.

& you're right about the weird start time for CBS especially since it's in Florida.