Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: What happens if the NCAA season ends in the following?

Oklahoma beat Texas, there is no realistic scenario at this point in which Texas is in a BCS bowl game. One loss Kansas would go over them whether the loss comes in the Big 12 Championship or against Missouri.

Florida would need lots of help to get into the SEC championship game and would need to beat LSU to get into a BCS bowl game.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:16 AM

of course what might tip it over to lsu would be the championship game that they win
Old 11-04-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oklahoma beat Texas, there is no realistic scenario at this point in which Texas is in a BCS bowl game. One loss Kansas would go over them whether the loss comes in the Big 12 Championship or against Missouri.

Florida would need lots of help to get into the SEC championship game and would need to beat LSU to get into a BCS bowl game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a scenario for you: Missouri loses at Kansas State, but then beats Kansas in the finale. Kansas still wins the division, but loses their 2nd game in a row when they face OU in the Big XII title game.

And if the Pac-Ten teams, the Big Ten teams, and the Big XII teams are all off-limits, yes I think a 3-loss Florida team would stand a very good chance of being an at-large. Much better than a 2-loss BC or UConn.

After looking things over again though, I think I have it wrong. I think Clemson loses to South Carolina in the regular season finale and thus finishes 10-3 after winning the ACC Title instead of 11-2. That means that Boise State would have a higher BCS ranking than them at 11-1 and would probably get an at-large.

So, the Fiesta Bowl remains OU/Florida, but Boise State probably takes Texas's at-large spot in the Sugar Bowl.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the computer would have oregon very close to lsu under those circumstances maybe higher. if michigan beats osu then they move to around #10. therefore, oregon has victories over usc, mich, arizona state, and cal.
right now their strength of schedule is a little higher than lsu's and should increase with today's win over ASU

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I kinda agree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only problem with this is Oregon lost to Cal.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LSU > Oregon > ASU > OSU > BC

not sure where to put KS and WVU

[/ QUOTE ]

If Kansas wins out they will have beaten two top 7 teams in their last two games and be undefeated. They are easily #1.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 AM

The computers like Kansas. If they win out, they're in.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:22 PM

If LSU goes to the BCS title game, The Sugar gets to pick to replace them and is most likely going to choose a 3-loss Auburn or Florida, if available. Of course, that would involve Florida winning out but not getting to the SECCG or Auburn beating Georgia and Bama, but it could happen. You can throw out the "but so-and-so is more deserving" arguments. That's very likely the way it would go down. It's not like there is going to be a bunch of 1-loss at-large teams to choose from anyway.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a scenario for you: Missouri loses at Kansas State, but then beats Kansas in the finale. Kansas still wins the division, but loses their 2nd game in a row when they face OU in the Big XII title game.

And if the Pac-Ten teams, the Big Ten teams, and the Big XII teams are all off-limits, yes I think a 3-loss Florida team would stand a very good chance of being an at-large. Much better than a 2-loss BC or UConn.

After looking things over again though, I think I have it wrong. I think Clemson loses to South Carolina in the regular season finale and thus finishes 10-3 after winning the ACC Title instead of 11-2. That means that Boise State would have a higher BCS ranking than them at 11-1 and would probably get an at-large.

So, the Fiesta Bowl remains OU/Florida, but Boise State probably takes Texas's at-large spot in the Sugar Bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

How in the hell does Boise St. get an at large BCS bid? They'd be 11-1 overall, 0-1 against BCS conference teams with that loss to a bad Washington team. They'd have a landmark win over... Hawaii??? Sorry, but no way does BSU get a BCS bid this year. Hawaii does only if they win out, but no chance for Boise St.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 PM

All they have to do is be in the Top 16 of the BCS rankings and they get an automatic bid if there's a BCS conference champion ranked lower. I'm saying that if Clemson wins the ACC at 10-3 (which I think they will), Boise State would fit that criteria.

Last week, Boise State was #22 in the BCS rankings so that's only 6 spots to rise. They probably will already have passed Wisconsin and South Florida when the new rankings come out today and shouldn't have much problem passing 4 more teams before the season's out if they get to 11-1.

If on the other hand, if Clemson or BC wins the ACC at 11-2 and finishes ahead of Boise State, then I don't think the Broncos will be able to crack the Top 12 which would then be the requirement.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All they have to do is be in the Top 16 of the BCS rankings and they get an automatic bid if there's a BCS conference champion ranked lower. I'm saying that if Clemson wins the ACC at 10-3 (which I think they will), Boise State would fit that criteria.

Last week, Boise State was #22 in the BCS rankings so that's only 6 spots to rise. They probably will already have passed Wisconsin and South Florida when the new rankings come out today and shouldn't have much problem passing 4 more teams before the season's out if they get to 11-1.

If on the other hand, if Clemson or BC wins the ACC at 11-2 and finishes ahead of Boise State, then I don't think the Broncos will be able to crack the Top 12 which would then be the requirement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I didn't know the automatic bid rule.

Let me amend my statement to "There's no way Boise St. deserves a BCS Bid this year."