Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: How often do you forget stuff instantly?

[ QUOTE ]
OK, three scenarios here:

1) You are talking to someone. You introduce yourself. 10 seconds later, you realize you have no idea what their name is.

2) You decide to do something (grab a bottle of water, maybe) on the way out of the house. You realize you forgot something and turn around to grab it from your room. You forget your initial task and leave.

3) You are watching something on TV. Commercial comes on, you flip channels and watch something for a few minutes, then totally forget about the first thing you were watching.

Just curious, how many of you forget stuff like this, and how often?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I started a thread about this... I still do this all the time but am getting a little bit better.

2) Not very often.

3) Somewhat frequently, but it helps that I very rarely watch live TV.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM

1. Very often. I will even realize it, ask "I'm sorry. what was your name again?" then not pay attention to the answer and still not know their name.

2. Not often.

3. Frequently when baked.

1) You are talking to someone. You introduce yourself. 10 seconds later, you realize you have no idea what their name is.

Far too often. Mostly in spots where I've already decided that a person's name is meaningless to me. Especially true with girl's names.

2) You decide to do something (grab a bottle of water, maybe) on the way out of the house. You realize you forgot something and turn around to grab it from your room. You forget your initial task and leave.

Very often. I'm super easily distracted and often trying to do too many things at once. Esp when leaving the house.

3) You are watching something on TV. Commercial comes on, you flip channels and watch something for a few minutes, then totally forget about the first thing you were watching.

Not very often. I tend to have a pattern when I'll always return to the show I was watching ("last" button ftw) before browing to another chan in my rotation.

1. not often, but i'm good with names

2. this is fairly common

3. depends what's on, but not that often
Old 05-31-2007, 12:49 PM

I do #1 literally every time i meet someone in a casual environment.

2 & 3 almost never.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:49 PM

1) More often than not. I don't even think I pay attention to the name unless it's a friend of a friend or someone that I know I'm going to be around for a period longer than a few minutes. So if I know in advance that I'm likely going to have to address them in the near future it's a different story. But a random person that I meet will almost never register.

2) Not terribly often, but enough to make me feel that I did too many drugs earlier in life. I occasionally forget to do both tasks. Like I'll get to the room to grab the thing I just remembered, only by the time I get there I forgot what I was doing.

3) If I'm just casually watching something, say some ghey movie on USA that just happened to be on as I was surfing, then this is certainly a possibility. If it's one of my favorite shows or something I'm making a point to watch, then not so much.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:52 PM

All,

Here's a somewhat related #4.

4) You hear a song on the radio in your car or in a movie or at a bar. You think, I definitely need to get that song, I'll look that up or buy it when I get home. A few weeks later when you hear the song somewhere else, you remember you meant to get it.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 PM

1) Quite often. I don't immediately forget, but usually in 2 hours or something I can't recall it.

2) All the fing time. This is very annoying.

3) Never. I only watch a handful of channels, and just rotate through them with the favorites button.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:56 PM

4) This number used to be in the 90% range until I got my Treo. Now I make Task entries to remind myself to do silly things like this.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 PM

A bit unrelated, but when my GF visits and we take her car out, without fail I always go past the visitors parking spot. This is probably a different type of memory in our brain.