Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: NL 1/2 Making a living?

[ QUOTE ]
One last comment for people who are fixated on BB/100 figure. Did you take into account that the game plays bigger pre-flop in relation to big blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the blinds are irrelevant in live $1/2 play. In other words, poker theory goes out the window. For example, the starting pot (consisting of the blinds) is supposed to be the thing worth competing for. If no blinds existed at all, then all you have to do is wait for AA/KK and you'll win money (assuming everyone else doesn't get it.)

Most players at this level still think "defending their blinds" is a good thing against a raise, because they don't understand position. They think "Hey, $1 in the pot already in the small blind, I get a discount and only have to put $9 more in to call his raise!"

But interestingly, take away the blinds and the game plays exactly the same way. Heck, for some people, take away the pot and the game plays the same way. They think, "Well, $20 seems like a good sized bet for this type of hand."
Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 PM

I couldn't agree more...it was exactly how I felt playing only 40 hours in AC.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 PM

so no limit plays *gasp* like it has [i]invisible antes[i]???
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am 28 years old and have no comment on the 30+ vs 25- battle here. I would like to point out that the going trend in Hollywood is that many succesful people are under 25 or over 35, leaving everything in between in the the dust. I guess that my generation is the one that is messed up and lazy, but we also had the disadvantage of living in a bull-market compunded being raised on nothing more complex than an Atari, and living in a world where computers were considered the domain of the super-nerd. I never went on-line until I was 20 years old. Many of the most focused and driven people I know are the early 20s set. I think that it is a sign of good things to come. They are going to move the world into the direction that it must go, and that is if we all want more freedom, we all must learn to live out of the corporate constraints and definitions of financial and self-worth. Ingenuity will only come when the best minds are able to see the world freely, and to define themselves in their own sets of paradigms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was pretty interesting but it got lost in the shuffle. My parents made me get a cell phone when I got my driver's license, and I was totally embarrassed by it because no one used cell phones (and this was still <10 years ago). Now I see 10 year olds sending text messages. I'm around a lot of driven people, so I think the current crop of us in our 20's will be just fine, but when I look at the group of kids coming up behind me sometimes I'm just blown away.