Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: 10/20. Ok call down? (Boring, but I run bad)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i usually play it the same, but would it be bad to raise the flop with the intent of getting a cheap showdown? if he goes nuts and reraises perhaps we can find a fold somewhere given the fact that he's relatively passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once a donker always a donker. What happens too often IMO is that he donks again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is called street amnesia. they completely forget all action on previous streets and continue as if they were just now dealt six cards.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 AM

1st situation:
I would Raise the flop and try to buy free card on the turn and then maybe call the river but this river is very dangerous! Totally invested 2BB after preflop not 2.5 BB as in case with calldown

2nd situation:
We raise the flop and villain rerise(probably has king or strong draw). Then I would call and try to catch J on the turn and if he bets the turn I would fold! Totally invested 1.5BB after preflop but without showdown.

I would make the calldown if villain is more aggressive player but I think with raise in duel with such relatively passive player we much better know where we stand especially if he rerise!

Please correct me if I am wrong!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I would call and try to catch J on the turn and if he bets the turn I would fold!

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a bad plan. You really don't have the odds to call for 1 clean out. If the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls, are you going to raise the big streets? You really can't cause that card completes a big part of his range.

You also forgot the 3rd situation where you raise the flop, villain meekly calls with his king, then sees a safe turn card and decides to donk again. Then you invest 3BB to call down (or fold the turn and risk being outplayed).

[ QUOTE ]

...I think with raise in duel with such relatively passive player we much better know where we stand especially if he rerise!

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising for info sucks. You pay way to much for the info, and the information you buy often isn't reliable enough to make a thin fold so you end up calling down anyways and just spewing, or folding the best hand and spewing even more. Donk/3bet is a pretty common flop line for a flushdraw. So you can't really fold the turn, and on the river your raise has juiced the pot enough that you have to make a crying call in case he has air.

The best way to "buy" info is to call people down a lot in the beginning and build up your reads on them. This has the added bonus of insuring you against getting outplayed by worse hands, and you also get an "unbluffable" image which has a lot of value. Later on you can start making thin but good folds when you can pinpoint villains range more effectively.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 AM

I see....thank you for wide explanation!