Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Let players use drugs.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then we have the college teams who will buy steroids for their players because they can afford while other teams can't afford it. Talk about making the playing level even more unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? It can't get any more unfair. College football isn't about parity... that's why you see the easy schedules for the "best" teams. Blame the NCAA, not potential steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not joking. It can get more unfair, that's the point. It doesn't have to be about complete parity but potential steroids would increase parity even more. It depends on where you stand on parity in college football in general but 90% of things aren't controlled by the NCAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of the things aren't controlled by the NCAA? OMG REALLY?! That's why it's so uneven, LDO. If you want a fair playing field you need the NCAA to step in and regulate EVERYTHING. That's why I stated you should blame the NCAA.

Oh, and you're obviously the fan of the wrong league if you are the least bit concerned about parity. I suggest you start rooting for the Jags, Fins, or Bucs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not asking for a completely fair playing field, I never said I want complete parity. I said I wouldn't want a situation where teams/colleges have to compete for the best drugs as a Coach or an Administrator.

I do like the Sunday league & the Jaguars. Chill.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then we have the college teams who will buy steroids for their players because they can afford while other teams can't afford it. Talk about making the playing level even more unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? It can't get any more unfair. College football isn't about parity... that's why you see the easy schedules for the "best" teams. Blame the NCAA, not potential steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not joking. It can get more unfair, that's the point. It doesn't have to be about complete parity but potential steroids would increase parity even more. It depends on where you stand on parity in college football in general but 90% of things aren't controlled by the NCAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of the things aren't controlled by the NCAA? OMG REALLY?! That's why it's so uneven, LDO. If you want a fair playing field you need the NCAA to step in and regulate EVERYTHING. That's why I stated you should blame the NCAA.

Oh, and you're obviously the fan of the wrong league if you are the least bit concerned about parity. I suggest you start rooting for the Jags, Fins, or Bucs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not asking for a completely fair playing field, I never said I want complete parity. I said I wouldn't want a situation where teams/colleges have to compete for the best drugs as a Coach or an Administrator.

I do like the Sunday league & the Jaguars. Chill.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I asked you why not? They already compete for the best "a million other things which are just as stupid as drugs" and you apparently don't have a problem with that.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said I wouldn't want a situation where teams/colleges have to compete for the best drugs as a Coach or an Administrator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace the word drugs with players....

What the hell is the difference? Seriously, the league CAN'T get any more uneven.... the top teams will still be the top teams. They will still schedule their seasons around home games and weak opponents. I don't really understand how you're saying "The level is OK right now.... but OMG if Team A blows out Team B by 7 more points a game, the world will explode!" Where are you coming up with the stop point? College football being considered as a league is a joke, whether they implement steroid usage or not won't change that.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:19 PM

I think we need more parity in the NFL.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Let the players vote on it. If more that 50% want it banned then ban it.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said I wouldn't want a situation where teams/colleges have to compete for the best drugs as a Coach or an Administrator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace the word drugs with players....

What the hell is the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my perspective, there is a moral/ethical difference obviously. There are financial ramifications as well.
I'm not saying I don't get where you're coming from, I'm capable of thinking about it from a fan's point of view.

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, the league CAN'T get any more uneven.... the top teams will still be the top teams. They will still schedule their seasons around home games and weak opponents. I don't really understand how you're saying "The level is OK right now.... but OMG if Team A blows out Team B by 7 more points a game, the world will explode!" Where are you coming up with the stop point? College football being considered as a league is a joke, whether they implement steroid usage or not won't change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, actually it can get a lot more uneven, there's plenty of open legislation involving recruiting/admittance/grades where they would differ from conference to conference and even from team to team within a conference.

It already sucks that there are different requirements. It could get worse.

There are open discussions about training regiments, budgeting for strength and conditioning, how much a team could spend on "legal" enhancement products and it could differ from each of the above.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:12 PM

FWIW, I'm not saying I am against the NCAA leveling the playing field, I'm just discussing why you can't just do it under current circumstances with out moral and financial consequences, and even further lack of parity.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we probably don't want athletes to be role models anymore either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got an idea, how about we expect the goddamn parents to step up and fill this role for once?

I expect Barry Bonds to hit curveballs, not raise my kids.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we probably don't want athletes to be role models anymore either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got an idea, how about we expect the goddamn parents to step up and fill this role for once?

I expect Barry Bonds to hit curveballs, not raise my kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a great idea, but unfortunately not always possible. The world is such a sad place in that way.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Tru,

I think it's fine if you want to say no because of morals.... but to argue that it will [censored] up the playing field is just plain silly.