Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-26-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Stud Hi (Trip Queens)

Here is a play from one of my hand histories today... Maybe I played it smart, or just like an idiot. AndyB and the rest, comments?

Note: The player I tangled with was about 30% vpip. She seemed a bit loose a month ago but has improved her game substantially since then (or it's simply another person using the same account now).

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (2.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

· Note: I am a little peeved here. Players with 30% vpip at these levels normally don’t call with AA if they can get a chance to isolate(though I know one that does always slowplay in this spot). I figured she probably has a pair with Ace kicker, or was calling with a three flush to the ace (most likely). At worst, a hand like AQK maybe… (I am assuming she’s smart not to chase without having the Q as I’d be holding 2 blockers from her straight, or is that flawed thinking on my part?

4th Street - (6.50 SB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___double-bets
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

· Note: I always use the double bet. This prevents anyone from getting a line on me when I single bet or double bet a double door card.

I’m also amused she calls here, considering most solid players would be scared shitless at this point. Though I’ve seen solid players who refuse to lay down flush draws in this spot.

5th Street - (6.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

· Note: Ok, now I’m really surprised. I’m raised on expensive street? Did she call me with a split aces and a 2-flush in spades on 3’rd? Or did she call with two aces and a 9 kicker, now spiking ace over and putting me to the test?

Very unlikely she has 2 burried nines in there, but possible.

I also had a brief moment thought of rolled up aces on 3’rd by her smooth-call (but didn’t mention it), but pushed it out of my mind, as I remember reading those who put their opponents on rolled-ups end up losing too much chips by playing too scared. But now I’m definitely alarmed, or just overly paranoid on 5’th?

I would have re-banged back vs any donkey, but I was worried why I’m getting re-raised here with a monster strong board by a player who has recently been quite solid now. I decided to play weak as either I’m very ahead (and no need to let a solid coherent player know where I truly am at), or no need to burry a bigger hole if I really am staring down the nuts while I am holding the second-nuts.

Was it a mistake to play weak here?

6th Street - (10.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

I still have a few alarm bells ringing, but I’ll let her keep betting for me until I fill up for now.

River - (12.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___[b]checks
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets

----- CUT

Ok, I’m going to cut it off for now and ask… Now what?
Certainly I MUST check-raise here, since I filled up and that’s what I wanted. What do I do if I get re-raised, throw in another raise again hoping they have tens full at best, or play safe and just call then?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Stud Hi (Trip Queens)

uh, tens full? How? The only hand that can beat you here is aces full and since we've seen one other ace she'd have to have the rest of them.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 AM

every time I see a hand posted in this forum I'm shocked by the amount of bets that do not go in for no apparent reason at all

edit:

[ QUOTE ]
I still have a few alarm bells ringing, but I’ll let her keep betting for me until I fill up for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are hearing alarm bells here it should generally be because your house is on fire.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 AM

9s full is unlikely also because we've seen one other 9. Sevens full is unlikely because of the action. Aces up seems kind of likely and you've been acting like that's good. Might just be trips of some kind also. I'd raise and call a 3bet, maybe cap.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 AM

You raised third and then hit your door card. Your opponents should put you on trip Queens. There aren't that many possibilities for opponent. She should have rolled Aces. She might be stubborn with trip Nines. Or she could be playing badly. Perhaps it's the other person sharing that account. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Since you seem to think she's a decent player, I don't blame you for shutting down. I wouldn't fold, but I wouldn't like my hand that much, either.

I like the check-raise on the river. If she three-bets, she should be saying that she has Queens-full beaten. I think I'd just call a three-bet, but I don't think that four-betting would be a terrible play on your part. She can't re-raise, right?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
uh, tens full? How?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a bit of a joke comment related to another thread I posted a while back. I probably shouldn't have done that and confused anyone.

My apologies.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 AM

Oh, I remember now. I guess I figured you meant 9s full or something. Anyway, all you have to fear here is aces full, and yeah, some times she rivered it, but no way do I ever fold 7th. She could show me 3 aces and I'd probably call.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 AM

Ok thanks guys. And for the finally, here we go.

River - (12.25 BB)

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (16.25 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="blue">

Total pot $32.50 Main pot $30.90 Rake $1.60

Hero: [Qs Qd Qh Kd Kh Th 6d] (A Full House, Queens full of Kings)

Seat 5: [Ac As Ah Ks 9s 7c 6s] (Three of a kind, Aces, King high)

</font>

The hand was mucked so fast I didn't really notice anything, but then she made some complaints how she had rolled up aces cracked. Since the network re-shuffles cards, I can never be 100% she's not lying, but I don't doubt her the way things went down.

I don't want to get too results oriented, and start playing TOO cautious. But maybe due to my horrendous downswing these last two weeks, it's caused me to be aware of more hidden monsters. I may have over-played my 6-[censored] if I had instead been running on a terrific upswing these last few weeks.

I'll say this, if she raised my check-raise, I don't think I could have had the courage to put in another raise.

At least, I'm not the only one who had a beat!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM

I would have trouble not throwing another raise in there at some point, maybe on 6th when her board is pretty bland and yours got scarier. I don't think you can really say she is rolled up based on the action....obviously it is a slim possibility and can certainly be deduced once one knows the results.