Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Raise/limp AK, AQ, AJ?

Raise all of them if they're suited in any position with any amount of limpers. If they're offsuit, I raise AK and AQ always, and always open AJo if I'm not in the blinds (sometimes I might muck it UTG, but only if it's a bad game, and I play all my limit live, so I never play in bad games [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

That said, when you're OOP and you whiff against the world, there's not much you can do. Check/call the flop if the board is raggedy and you think top pair can win, but often times, you kinda have to hope that you flop at least some backdoor draws or a pair. If you're IP against fewer players, you can start betting UI hands a little bit, but winning in live 3/6 is all about value-betting when you hit. It sucks when you routinely miss, but such is life. Being to raise/cap with big draws means you're ahead of the curve in games like this, and it's good to see you're willing to ram and jam if you have the best of it, not just if you flop a pair.

I would tend to bet the flop if I have a decent draw (gutter and a BDFD) and just check if the board is really coordinated and I have nothing (black AK on a red 568 board.)

If you're HU, I would tend to bet the turn with nothing and check behind with weak draws, since if you get C/R'd you'd wish you had taken the freebie, but if you have nothing, you shrug and fold. This applies less in loose passive games because getting HU on the turn is a small miracle in itself, and getting C/R'd is pretty rare as well.

Again, as we're all said before, there's no cut and dry way to play hands (based on the way you phrase your hands, you definitely understand this too) and you have to use your head and play poker. Playing UI overs OOP is the hardest thing to do, IMO, and I think we all suck at it more or less (except for a few people on these forums, and I'm sure you know who you are).