Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Flop a set, get resistance

After playing NL for a while I am giving shorthanded Limit a try. Trying to keep poker fresh. I'm running into all sorts of trouble, gonna read Miller's book in the near future again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway. Is there any reason to stop raising here? Can't be too afraid of a straight or an overset right? Or should I start check/calling somewhere along the line?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) PietM is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">PietM raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8SB, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">PietM bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6BB, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">PietM raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">PietM caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (18BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">PietM raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">PietM caps</font>, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 26BB
Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Flop a set, get resistance

Slow down there. Let's look at hands he could hold. AJ would usually raise PF or put in some action on the flop, so that needs to be heavily discounted. AT is also unlikely due to there beting 3 tens accounted for, only 3 combos if you don't discount it on the fact he didn't raise PF. A4 is 9 combos. JT or a worse 2 pair is unlikely to play like this, if they slowplayed the flop they'd probably go for a turn check/raise.

I think the turn cap is fine with the other guy padding, but once he leads the river after your turn cap I don't like raising. I'm not sure you're a favorite over BB and you don't want to knock out the overcall.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:40 PM

Unless your opponent is a moron, he's got KQ here. Slowplaying a set on that flop is stupid, and it shouldn't be hard for him to put you on your hand once you cap the turn. In fact, you could easily have KQ the way the hand played out. The only way that doesn't worry him is if he has KQ himself. Or if he's blind. Obviously you can't check/call (you have position), but you should at least think about just calling down after a certain point. Your hand is more likely good after this many raises in $.50/1 than $5/10, though. But if your opponent doesn't have KQ, he's just spewing here, IMO.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:52 PM

bb's hand is pretty well defined. An overset is not in his range as not 3betting JJ or AA in BB's shoes would be pretty pointless as a slowplay and even at these stakes most players dont just call a raise in a multiway pot with JJ, him having either of those here would be very very rare. KQ or 44 certainly are possibilities (weird line for 44 but wouldn't be the first time id seen this) as well as Aces up (9 AJ, 3 AT, 9 A4) all the way up to the turn 3bet. Im fine with capping the turn with sb in there as well against 2 unknowns at these stakes.

On the river when he leads again i'm positive ur better off just going for sbs overcall. Hes going to have a hard time folding even QJ at this point and if u raise bb's hardly ever going to 3bet a worse hand, so ur risking 2 to win one more most likely if ur hand is good. Meanwhile by just calling and only risking one bet u will most likely win two bets those times ur hand is good.

Even if the river was HU i think just calling would probably be right until u had the maniac read that hed do this with even A4 or JT. Once ur 3bet though capping is definitely too much since there are more combos of KQ here than AJ or 44 and hes definitely more likely to slow down by there with the later than with the nuts.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:55 PM

Ooops I thought BB was UTG hence my discounting AJ due to not raising PF.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:05 PM

I see people not 3bet preflop with AA and JJ in low stakes all the time. They think they're being sneaky or something. I agree that a turn cap is reasonable and going for an overcall on the river is ideal. On the other hand, sometimes you'll get shown something like J4s, or Q9o and get to have a good long laugh.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:12 PM

KQ sounds reasonable, I wouldnt get so carried away on the river, 4 bet on turn is fine, river just keep it at 1 bet i'd say. If he didnt have a monster I dont see him reraising unless he has 2 pair.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:19 PM

this is a pretty specific spot though where I dont think someone would slowplay AA. Some donks may think its best to just see a flop first with JJ though I suppose, still though only 3 combos each of his range so even if we include them I think the best play is cap the turn, call the river bet.

Its gone limp, raise, call by the sb and its on BB, he can 3bet and get a guarenteed call from 2 of the 3 (usually all 3 and it gives the pfr a chance to cap) or just call and get only one more bet in preflop 95% of the time (assuming the utg limper even limp reraises that often).

I see people cold call in the sb vs one raise, cold call in the BB HU, limp with them, just call a 3bet ect ect. I hardly ever see someone not 3bet AA in the BB (or in the sb or otb or wherever) after theres been a raise and a call, not to mention the limper.