Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

My old log was to sprawled and the name sucked so I condensed it into this one. Here's the old one: Link
I use metric plates at my gym but convert the numbers to lbs in the log.

Stats/History:

32 year old male. 6'3", 220lbs. I was really overweight (286lbs) until around 27 yo. I Started playing tons of squash and eating more healthy. I quickly dropped down to 194lbs. Later I added basketball to my schedule and did light but sporadic strength training. The past 2 years I've gained weight again due to more time spent at work and playing poker. I decided to fix that last summer and began working out more regularly. Then I found this site in the fall and switched to "Starting Strenght".

Goals:

Increase strength, lose 10-20lbs of non-lean mass, look good nekkid, reap benefits on squash court.

Log:

<font color="#0000ff">9/29</font>

Squat: 3x5x135
Bench: 1x5x110, 1x3x135, 2x5x120
Deads: 1x5x135, 1x5x175
Pullups: 1x8x110, 2x8x88 (assisted)

First workout goes well, lots of experimenting with weight. I can go pretty deep on squats (almost ass-to-grass) and weight seems fine. After workout I don't feel tired so I add pullups but get told this is probably not smart. Exercises should get harder once I get familiar with them.

<font color="#0000ff">10/1</font>

Squat: 2x5x135, 1x3x135
Press: 1x5x88, 2x5x77
Pen.Row: 2x5x110

Squats are much harder this time around, with form breaking down, failure in the last set and some minor spraining of the groin (old injury). I take advice to cut back on most of the weight for the first 2-3 weeks while learning good form.

<font color="#0000ff">10/3</font>

Squat: 3x5x88
Bench: 3x5x99
Deads: 1x5x176

I played some basketball yesterday and legs are pretty stiff from that and mondays session. Thankfully I don't think I injured my groin, even though it's kinda tender when I stretch it. I cut a lot of squat weight, they require some effort but form is mostly good and I can finish them all with not much difficulty. I cut back on weight for the bench as well to leave some room for ramping later.

After the workout I played 4 games of squash. My legs are really stiff and tired and the groin is tender. I'm going to take a break tomorrow, do fridays session, rest over the weekend and then reevaluate on monday. I hope I'll manage to recover decently because I really want to do the full program every day.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Wolfram\'s \"Starting Strength\" Log

Press: 3x5x66
Pen.Row: 3x5x110

Cut back a little on the press to leave room for ramping. I'm a little unsure on the form cause my chin gets in the way of the bar when I push it up from my cheset. I'm supposed to tilt my head back to make room for the bar, right?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cut back a little on the press to leave room for ramping. I'm a little unsure on the form cause my chin gets in the way of the bar when I push it up from my cheset. I'm supposed to tilt my head back to make room for the bar, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah pretty much.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 AM

wolfram,

congrats on the weight loss! There's no doubt in my mind that your new goals will be met!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to properly do the press the bar must go striaght and not be moved forward or back during the lift. Grip the bar a little wider than shoulder width and push elbows forward. Press above your head and keep body straight and head tilted back slighty to avoid hitting the nose. Once its above your head you then psuh your body under the bar.

Don't worry about coming too close to the bar, I didnt learn until I actually made contact and then I NEVER made the same mistake.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:55 AM

<font color="#0000ff">10/8</font>

Legs feel much better now than last week. I plan to start adding weight to the bar next week and I'm really looking forward to that.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="#0000ff">10/8</font>

Legs feel much better now than last week. I plan to start adding weight to the bar next week and I'm really looking forward to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolfram,

nice work, keep it up. glad your legs are feeling better.

are these weights in kgs or lbs.?

later. J.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 AM

lol, this is lbs (I wish it was kg). I'm basically a weakling.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 PM

no you are not a weakling. i think people in a gym only look up the mountain at all the strong people and forget about the huge % of people out there who couldn't load a bar with a weight plate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

anyone who is in the gym regularly isn't a weakling or probably won't stay being one for long.

do you have 2# plates or something? i was just curious because of the odd amounts for your lifts!?

later. J.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Oh, the plates are in kg, I just convert 'em to lbs for convenience, since most posters here seem to use lbs.