Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather
Have a thumb sticking out of your chin? 8 47.06%
Live in a world where Toby Keith music was the only music available? 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Fire Jack Effel Now!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its defamation, not deformation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was Sommerfeld???

[/ QUOTE ]

I mis-typed when spelling Defamation, not like any of you haven't done it before!

And.......Jimmy's last name is Sommerfeld not Sommerfield, care to take that bet????????

[/ QUOTE ]

He was making a joke (as was I) because you went out of your way to correct a small spelling mistake of someone's name. Then you made a similar mistake, so I corrected that to show you how nitty you are being. Plus you didnt make a spelling mistake, you just didnt know the word and probably said "deformation of character" in real life conversations where people were too embarrassed to correct you.

[/ QUOTE ]And whoever this person is (and I freely admit I have no idea, nor do I particularly care) doesn't understand defamation ( libel or slander.) In the United States, truth is an absolute defense. If it is true that two of the women in that photograph have slept with Jack Effel (and again, I don't know or particularly care), no defamation has occurred.

So, the poster apparently doesn't understand that part of tort law nor does the poster apparently understand what the First Amendment of the Constitution actually means. This is a private forum. The Constitution does not apply.

So, why should I believe anything said poster says about Jack Effel, Harrah's, or the WSOP?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't said anything yet, that I wouldn't say to anyones face! I'm not ashamed of anything I’ve said on this forum!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor have you responded to my question as to how being asked to change seats is different in this circumstance than any other.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 PM

More!!!! Punctuation????
Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will take any amount of money you can raise that Harrah's will have the event next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fizzbin, he is not on the floor when the tournaments are being conducted. Why????

Color-ups, table-breaking orders, tent issues ARE HIS JOB!!!! He is invisible for the things he CAN control.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct on 1 out of 3.... Color ups are his responsibility.

If corporate tells you to get the sats up and running asap or assigns a priority to areas of the amazon room to revenue generation then you are incorrect about the breaking of tables they may have taken some of the freedom out of his hands...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
princess,

"no one was willing to change seats"

I don't understand how this is a problem. Why can't the tourney staff just tell people to change seats rather than have three friends sitting together next to each other?

"you have to do a manual re-draw, which really sucks!"

That sounds like just laziness. It seems like you should do a manual re-draw rather than not have the late entrants randomly seated.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't make people change seats! How would you like it if a tournament official came up and said to you "I'm sorry but you need to move" a lot of poker players are superstitious, and believe that it could change the outcome of them winning, or not winning, to change seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm Yes you can and its happened to me 3 times 2 of the three times it was at a Johnny Groom run tournament at the Gold Strike he asked/made me move so 2 friends weren't at the same table, The 3rd time was when I mistakenly sat in the 1 seat instead of the 10, and nobody checked my card. They made me take my chips I'd played with and move to my correct seat, and moved the 10 seat chips to the 1 for the new guy to play. its not hard to take 1 guy from 5 tables and swap them. (probably longer than it took me to write this)
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will take any amount of money you can raise that Harrah's will have the event next year. When Harrah's got involved in the Horseshoe downtown, it was done primarily to get the WSOP name, which has been a gigantic cash cow for them. Why in the world would they give up the ownership or running of it when, despite these gripes, it will end up considered a huge success at the end of the day?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are 100% wrong about this, Harrah's took over the Horseshoe for its name, they had no clue about the WSOP in 2004.

Matt Savage
Old 06-28-2007, 04:11 AM

Princess, you seem to find it necessary to blindly defend Effel, yet you can't rationally explain how he has done a good job, given all that has gone wrong.

I did take my concerns "to his face", and I was basically given a lot of useless bureaucratic-type answers. It also seems that, once he has decided to do something a certain way, he is incredibly stubborn about making changes on-the-fly, even when it is painfully obvious that his initial plan was ill-advised. This was very apparent when he refused to stop low-limit cash games and move people out of the 100-degree tent on June 15th.

It's also a copout to be saying that the problems at the WSOP are the fault of Harrah's upper management, and that Effel was handcuffed by their restrictions. It is up to the tournament director to work with his upper management to secure the resources he needs (such as an additional conference room for more tables), rather than simply accepting the initial "no" for an answer. Furthermore, we have no proof that Effel or Pollack ever made requests to Harrah's that were turned down. Some apologists are just assuming that. Even if that was the case, it was Effel's responsibility to work around such restrictions and make the best of the situation. For example, if the conditions in the tent are unreasonable, close down the cash games and use those tables for the players who were supposed to be in the tent. Not rocket science, but somehow this wasn't done. This is the type of crap people are talking about.

I am just a player. I have zero experience managing tournaments. However, I can guarantee -- and in fact would bet my entire bankroll -- that I could do a better job running the tournament next year if put in charge. And when I say "better job", I mean you would find far more positive posts here and elsewhere about a Dan-Druff-run WSOP than the current mess we have seen for the past 3 years -- this one being the worst.

Below is a repost of something I posted at neverwinpoker regarding WSOP gripes. Read them and explain how any of these things should have happened if the tournament was truly being run competently:

(Major items are in bold face, minor items are in regular type.)

1) All WSOP Cashier stations are inexplicably closed the night before the Series began. One cashier at the main cage was assigned to handling all of the buyins and release signatures, resulting in 4-6 hour lines.

2) Pre-registration tournament kiosks do not function properly, and there are also not enough cashiers to handle the mass number of buyins to the early events. Again, 4-6 hour lines commence for the first few days.

3) Despite 2300 players in 2005 and 2800 last year, WSOP planners once again underestimate the number of players for the first big NL event, and only 2400 can be accomodated. The remaining 600 are stuck being alternates, and others are turned away, many of whom already waited in hours-long lines to register.

4) The newly designed WSOP cards are extremely difficult to read, and it's easy to confuse the 6 for the 9.

5) The tournament room is over-air-conditioned, leaving those dressed for hot Vegas weather shivering at the table. This is especially bad late at night, when there are fewer bodies in the room to keep it warm. There seems to be no way to adjust or auto-adjust the temperature in such situations.

6) There are not enough tournament clocks for every event, and some also malfunction.

7) Bluff Magazine is allowed to sell pay-per-view video of certain final tables, resulting in an obnoxious, hyper-controlled environment for players and fans. Each player is only allowed one audience member, denying the chance for friends and family to watch them in their moments of final table glory. Even worse, players are banned from communicating with anyone during the tournament AND ON BREAKS, and are not allowed to leave the premises during dinner. Security guards even accompany players to the bathroom. Players receive no compensation for all this extra hassle, while Bluff and the WSOP profit from pay-per-view subscriptions.

8) Bluff Magazine is awarded the exclusive rights to report chip counts and hand updates, which they promptly contract out to the apparent novices at Pokernews. Pokernews does a shoddy job, while Cardplayer and others battle with Bluff over what they do and don't have a right to report. The end result is the worst WSOP coverage since the beginning of the poker boom.

9) Despite the availability of many tables, players for the June 5th Omaha event are sent outside to the pavilion (tent), while the far less important cash games and satellites remain in the main room. The 40-50MPH windstorm makes the room unbearably noisy, and the tent eventually blows down.

10) Repeating the same mistake, cash games and satellites are again allowed to run on June 15th, sending over 650 players from the $2000 NL event into the unbearably hot tent. The 105-degree weather and poorly-working air conditioners leave the room well over 90 degrees, and near 100 in some spots.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:31 AM

I was down at the Amazon again tonight, and I must say that alot of my friends are leaving to play at Bellagio and Wynn. The main complaint seems to be there is a long list of players waiting for seats while many tables are playing short handed due to lack of players that are waiting on the list. So the place is very poorly managed cause no one is letting the brushes know about empty seats. And I witnessed this myself as it was being explained to me. So lady princess I'm sorry but its a cluster xxxxx in there. Please excuse my grammer, cause im very tired.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will take any amount of money you can raise that Harrah's will have the event next year. When Harrah's got involved in the Horseshoe downtown, it was done primarily to get the WSOP name, which has been a gigantic cash cow for them. Why in the world would they give up the ownership or running of it when, despite these gripes, it will end up considered a huge success at the end of the day?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are 100% wrong about this, Harrah's took over the Horseshoe for its name, they had no clue about the WSOP in 2004.

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]Matt, could you clarify what you mean by no clue about the WSOP? Obviously they knew about it, do you mean they had no idea what it took to run?