Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]
After I send my ImagineR app., in how long should I expect it to come?
How hard is it for a student to get a part time job?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks at most.

I don't think there are a lot of good part time job but im sure there are a lot of student looking for them so be prepared to do some hunting.

Best choice imo is to give lessons to high school / middle school student. It pay well and its not hard.

Teach English for example, or whatever language you speak.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The quote was from a french ambassador he was talking about how even though he didnt agree with sarkozy on all issues he believed he could count on him. He said the quote in english.

[/ QUOTE ]

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" ???
Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The quote was from a french ambassador he was talking about how even though he didnt agree with sarkozy on all issues he believed he could count on him. He said the quote in english.

[/ QUOTE ]

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" ???

[/ QUOTE ]

No it has more to do with the idea that if there is a person in your life that you really depend on they are only truly helpful if they disagree with you from time to time and keep you in check. If they just agree all the time (provide no resistance) you cant really depend on them because all they will ever do is agree with what you say.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is PERFECT. I posted in french BBV but no one respnded. There is a saying in french that goes something along the lines of "You can only lean on things which provide resistance" or something to that effect. What is the exact saying in the french language for the quote?

[/ QUOTE ]

Newton's Third Law of Motion...?

Also, how well known or mainstream (if at all) is the group Java over there? Mainstream enough to have their releases on vinyl? It's proving tricky to track down from Oz.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 PM

My roommate used to listen to Java alot but he doesn't have very common tastes for music.No clue if you could find some vinyl, googleing it is close to impossible with that kind of name
Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Do the French in general dislike Americans? Do they find U.S. tourists to be loud, obnoxious, fat, etc.?

Also, my wife wants to go to Paris next year. When is the best time of year to go? She found a hotel called the Metropole Opera. . Is this hotel in a good location as a base for walking/sightseeing in Paris? Any other good hotel recommendations for a visitor to your city?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the French in general dislike Americans? Do they find U.S. tourists to be loud, obnoxious, fat, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like there a american clichés about the French, there are french clichés about Americans.

According to those, Americans are:
- fat and eating junk food every day
- loud
- self-centered polluters
- have no taste
- hegemonic warmongers
- uneducated
- shallow, materialistic, obsessed about money

I wouldn't say we dislike Americans, actually I think our people have a lot in common and friendship is easy between us. What the French really dislike is the americain government and its warmongering, and the american culture being imported massively into the country through movies, junk food, TV shows etc. We feel both fascinated and threatened by that.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, my wife wants to go to Paris next year. When is the best time of year to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely late spring/early summer, I'd say may/june are the best months. Best weather, not too many tourists yet.

[ QUOTE ]
She found a hotel called the Metropole Opera. . Is this hotel in a good location as a base for walking/sightseeing in Paris?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahah, no wonder your wife picked that area, it's great for shopping. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You've got all the big department stores with luxury clothing & accessories down Boulevard Haussman. That hotel is well located, not too far from all the main attractions, you can easily walk/bike your way throuhg Paris.

Hotel recommandations... Well, it depends a lot of your budget and wishes. Since I live here I don't know many hotels. I tend to think that unless you want a palace, the hotel isn't that important and the location is what matters most.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM

Could you give me some ideas of French cuisine dishes that isn't haute cuisine? For example, what kind of food would I expect if I went to the South part from France? Which region's food do you like the most?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you give me some ideas of French cuisine dishes that isn't haute cuisine? For example, what kind of food would I expect if I went to the South part from France?

[/ QUOTE ]

The most famous example of that would be "ratatouille", the dish that inspired the pixar animated movie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratatouille

Another one is "Bouillabaisse", a famous provençal dish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillabaisse

Another one: Tomates à la Provençales
http://www.plat-du-jour.net/tomates-provencales.html

[ QUOTE ]
Which region's food do you like the most?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably Savoie. I'm very fond of Raclette ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette ) and Tartiflette ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartiflette ).
Old 11-08-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like there a american clichés about the French, there are french clichés about Americans.

According to those, Americans are:
- fat and eating junk food every day
- loud
- self-centered polluters
- have no taste
- hegemonic warmongers
- uneducated
- shallow, materialistic, obsessed about money

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* I'm afraid there is a lot of truth to all that. Not all Americans, mind you, but most. Except for maybe the loud part. That's a regional thing. New Yorkers...ugh.

Especially the education part. Americans are stupid. This puts me on life tilt on a daily basis. But hey, since I'm an American I can say that.