Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Default The Oscar Thread

I guess a thread on thoughts about the 79th Oscars should be discussed in the Lounge.
Here are some of my thoughts:

I'm a little sad with Pan's Labyrinth not winning Best Foreign Film. It was a mirror of Amelie in 2001 when it had 5 nominations and was the clear favorite for foreign film then lost to "No Man's Land". I have to admit "No Man's Land" was very good, but Amelie is one of my favorites.
Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece and I liked it more than any film in 2006 (and in 2005). I haven't seen the German movie, I guess I should, people seem to love it.

I was very happy that Martin Scorcese finally got an oscar. Although, I don't think the Departed compares to his previous movies, I like any of the other Scorcese movies I've seen more than The Departed (Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Gangs of New York, Aviator, Goodfellas). That doesn't mean the Departed is not good, the movie was great.

Emanuel Lubezki not winning for cinematography was a bit sad. He is the best in the business (last year his cinematography for The New World was also the best). Although, I have to admit Pan's Labyrinth was beautiful and I can't complain that much.

I am happy with the oscar for Alan Arkin, nice surprise and he did great in Little Miss Sunshine.

A lot of people complain about the "weak" lineup for best movie this year, but I thought 4 out of the 5 films were excellent. The one I don't think was excellent is because I haven't seen it ("The Queen"). I want to see it, but it is not in any local theaters.

I liked the shadow things. The Snakes on a Plane one was pretty cool.
Ellen did a good job, but I like Conan more.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: The Oscar Thread

Not that this is a bad post, but we've got a whole lot of active oscar threads right now. I encourage you to post this in one of them.
Closed Thread