Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 AM

Default 5.5€. KOo from MP

Hello,

That was the end of 1st hour of MTT. I've been getting trash all the time. That was the first playable hand in my eyes. Comments regarding each action are highly appreciated.

No Limit
Blinds: 50/100
10 players

Stack sizes:
UTG: $ 1710
UTG+1: $2150
MP1: $2900
MP2 (Hero): $1600
MP3: $2200
CO: $1680
Button: $1930
SB: $2600
BB: $2760

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP2 with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG calls 100, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls 100 ( <font color="red">should i raise it up???</font>), MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls 100, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($450, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button bets 200, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls 200

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($850, 2 players)
Hero bets 300, <font color="red">Button raises 750</font>, <font color="red">Hero bets 1000 (all in)</font>, Button calls 250

I was deliberately slowplaying this hand from the flop, because in my opinion that was the best option to collect as many chips as i could. Please correct my play on each street if i made it wrong.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Re: 5.5€. KOo from MP

looks ok to me,I don't mind the call pre flop as you can get away from it if shoved on (have been seeing a lot of utg limp/reraise recently?).

After that it looks fine, although i quite often lead out on the flop here as nobody puts you on the Q as they presume you'll slowplay it(generalisation but at 5.50 level often true). Also the check/call or check/ raise can set off the alarm bells imo.

Having checked the flop i'd probably check/raise all in on the turn, giving him a second chance to take the pot(in his eyes). Apart from the diamond draw, which only appeared on the turn this is a very safe board so not too worried about giving a free card then getting it all in on the river.

So i'd probably lead flop then turn, unless the opponent is prone to bluffing, but to be honest on this board slowplaying is absolutely fine as well as you are only behind 88 and AQ(would've raised pre-flop) and crushing limping range such as A8,QJ,QT.

nh and welcome to the forums.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:26 AM

I'd fold preflop. KQo doesn't do very well against a UTG limp. A raise would be to ~400ish {or shove} and raise/folding to a shove is bad, &amp; comitting all your chips with KQo here is also bad. So you can't profitably raise. KQo also doesn't do very well in limped pots. I'd overlimp KQs here. Flop, slowplaying makes sense.
Your line is pretty common but I never understand it. People just call last to act on the flop because their slowplaying, then lead turn on a blank. It's not actually an awful line, it just seems slightly inconsistent. I think I'd check turn, then if he bets again just shove because he'll be comitted.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

These stack sizes imply that the table has been VERY passive to this point and that meant they have probably also been very loose. It appears that starting stacks are about 2000.
I think a raise would have been ok but I like the limp vs an utg limper unless he has seen way too many flops for a limp - then a raise may be better. Mini bet the flop and just call any raise. If none, then mini or dbl bet the turn. Your line just screams Q to me as soon as you chk call after the flop. I'd be raising your turn bet if I had AQ, 55 or 88 or Q's full. Any other and I muck.

You did get all your money in the pot which is what you wanted. If he beat you sorry but you are losing it all w/this hand and flop if you are behind and happy to get it in if you are winning.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 PM

Damn...I really thought you had KOo.

-ZEN
Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 PM

i think you played the hand fine.i dont mind the check call then lead turn.its different