Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Around the World trip (6-12months)

I would spend maybe 6 weeks in SE Asia 2/3 of the way through your trip for the following reasons:

It's very chill and would give you some time to recharge your batteries after doing/seeing lots of thing for 7-8 months.

Flying around the region is cheap, travel by bus or train is practically free.

Everything is really cheap and you can use the money you save on other parts of your journey.

Remember, there's more to the region than just Thailand and more to do than just bang hookers.

As I said in the other "we're planning a big trip" thread, be flexible. If you really like a place, stay longer than you planned, if you hate, it leave.

Metetron, they're not anthropologists, it's fine for them to spend a short amount of time in places if they want.

edit: you'd probably want to plan this so you don't come during the really hot part of the year.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:26 AM

my friend just came back from egypt, said it was awesome. after seeing pics, i agree. It is close to europe too, which is nice, where as cape town is like way way way far from everything.

I'd say if you wanna work to understand community; just do labor under the table. I'm sure you can find work on craigslist.

I read on a guy's blog that he did work in Thailand (free though) rebuilding houses that were busted from a storm.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:40 AM

If you had to pick between "pyramids" and "wildlife", pick "wildlife" if only that will get you to Eastern Africa, which is supposedly awesome. Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda are all top on my list. I didn't care for Egypt that much, and the pyrmids, while pretty awesome, are done in a day. I wouldn't travel all that way just to see the pyrmads. If you do go to Egypt, I highly recommend going around the area (middle east) as well: Egypt, Jordon, Syrian, Lebannon and Turkey were all awesome. As far as personal safety goes, they're also all very safe... if a war broke out or something (like it did when I was there) I would get the hell out though.

South America:

Boliva is my favourite country in South America. Yes, even more than Argentina. I also have to disagree with Metereons (sp) notion that a month in both Bolivia and Peru would be sufficient.. I would say that there's more to "see" and do in those countries then there is in Argentina and travel takes longer. Argentina is awesome though. Delicious steaks and beautiful women.

Asia:

You've already know about SE Asia (Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia/Indo etc). I would suggest China - Nepal - India if you want something that's not quite so "easy". China was awesome, and we came over from Tibet into Nepal (hitched from Lhasa to Kathmandu). Crazy awesome. Even if you don't want to do that, you can hire a jeep and drive to Kath. Pretty amazing trip. Nepal and India are crazy too.. I highly recommend going to these places, gives you a little bit of a reality check from smashing buckets in Ko Pha Ngan.

Europe:

France!

Hope that helps.

Edit to say: You really shouldn't make any plans on where exactly you're going to go. Just get a one way ticket somewhere and hang out. Leave when you want and go somewhere else. You can always buy a ticket from wherever ou are to wherever yoiu are. No need to buy a, "around the world ticket" or something. That's all.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just get a one way ticket somewhere and hang out. Leave when you want and go somewhere else. You can always buy a ticket from wherever ou are to wherever yoiu are. No need to buy a, "around the world ticket" or something. That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful with this - some places will give you hell when you try to enter if you don't have a ticket out of the country booked. I know this is the case for the US and UK, and I had a problem with it in Greece and I'm sure a few other places are on the list too. Maybe make some sort of rough outline (with tickets going to each continent at certain dates - then carry a copy of that itinerary with you whenever you travel from country to country), buying one-way tickets along the way there.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 PM

MoP_86,

I did this when I was 19 - a few years ago (then again, it is pretty common to do round this way). It was awesome. If you are planning to work, then $25k is easily enough in funds.

I would personally recommend Japan, Australia & NZ and also Fiji.

If you do get to go to Fiji - visit Beachcomber Island:

Oh and my round-the-world ticket cost me $2k with around 10 stops.

(I didn't read too much of this thread so sorry if some of this is mentioned).
Old 10-25-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just get a one way ticket somewhere and hang out. Leave when you want and go somewhere else. You can always buy a ticket from wherever ou are to wherever yoiu are. No need to buy a, "around the world ticket" or something. That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful with this - some places will give you hell when you try to enter if you don't have a ticket out of the country booked. I know this is the case for the US and UK, and I had a problem with it in Greece and I'm sure a few other places are on the list too. Maybe make some sort of rough outline (with tickets going to each continent at certain dates - then carry a copy of that itinerary with you whenever you travel from country to country), buying one-way tickets along the way there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a problem with this, but I travel overland as much as possible.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a problem with this if you just lie and say "yeah I'm planning on leaving at this date" but I guess some people get more of the rough treatment than others so YMMV
Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live in canada... pretty much only been to northern US and Las Vegas..... budget is ~25k but we plan on working during the trip... what type of jobs can we get when we'll only be in one spot for around a month?

Goal of the trip is to gain some perspective on the world and have a great time doing so....

Me and my buddy pretty much always wanna kill eachother... we already spend pretty much everyday together so this wont be too much of a change.... that being said Im sure we'll get into some massive arguments while were on this trip... but thats part of life.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with a lot of people here that "less is more".
There are 54 countries in Africa alone. Seeing all continents in < 1 year is stretching it.

Good luck

For starters IŽd go to Mexico. Your southern neighbour has a lot to offer.