Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Default Advice on how to play the river

Hi, I havent posted on here before so I have done anything wrong please let me know. Anyway, I would appreciate any advice on what would be the best play in this spot.

Been playing for about half an hour with these two guys. They are both playing pretty passive at around 35/6. The whole table has pretty passive and I havent shown down many hands. When i get dealt pocket 9's.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
max00d: $30.74
CO: $15
Button: $41.52
SB: $47.46
BB: $25

Pre-flop: (5 players) max00d is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">max00d raises to $0.85</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.8, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">max00d bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $4</font>, SB calls, max00d calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($14.8, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">max00d bets $8</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($38.8, 3 players)
SB checks,
Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Advice on how to play the river

push it in, sux if he checked the flush but you cant expect him to and he probably pays you off w/ a 4
Old 02-13-2007, 07:24 AM

Push, you only have half pot left and you will get payed off by a 4 and sometimes set/2 pair hands to make it +EV.

Edit: Maybe you can let another 9 fold aswell.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:25 AM

check it down, against 2 villains the chances that a flush is out there is high, this is probably one of the rare times that sb would be best to check raise the river with a flush as he has 2 opponents to get, first the aggressor and then a player behind him, this is much better than having the aggressor last to act if you want to check raise. With only $17 left on the river there is no amount that you can bet with the intention of folding, and on this board you are really only going to get calls from 2 pair or better, so pushing is the only realistic aggressive option, but pushing into 2 players given every draw has landed and only 2 pair or better will call is likely suicidem, check it down and get to see sb's reaction if CO's bets, if CO bets and SB raises fold, if CO bets and SB calls you can call to since CO is so short, of course you call if SB folds.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 AM

If you check it and get a check behind you lose alot of value imho.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM

I dissagree, not just because its a multiway pot but also because CO is so short he only has $2 left which is likely all you will win from a push, sb will know they need more of a hand to get through 2 opponents, even if one is short, not worth the risk to reward ratio. Even if CO had a stack I'd check this one down, but the extreme shortness of his stack leans even more towards calling.

for what its worth if CO bets and SB just calls I love pushing all in, your hand is almost allways good and SB will often call just out of fustration (and quiet attractive pot odds of around 3-1) Even if you loose you often get a nice side pot!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:39 AM

this is 25NL im not worried about many villains c/r this river. and i def want the COs last $2 in b/c hes calling 2pr+ gettin those odds like 95% of the time.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:41 AM

CO is calling with A high, but I'd let him save his $2 to not run into a hand from SB.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:43 AM

i just dont expect loose/passives at 25NL (or 50NL or 100NL really) to be looking for a c/r on the river here very often if at all.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I see the argument for pushing - but I admit that I was just really lost.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($38.8, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">max00d bets $10</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO calls all-in $2.4</font>, SB calls.

Results:
Final pot: $61.2
<font color="#cc0000">max00d shows 9s 9h </font>
<font color="#cc0000">CO doesn't show 7s Ac </font>
<font color="#cc0000">SB doesn't show 4s As </font>

Although the outcome was good I dont think I played it well. This was a pretty tough spot to got into in the first place so perhaps the best play is to shove on the turn????????