Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Basement Flooded ---Help

Well the big storm that rolled thru the US this past week hit my neck of the woods about 1:00 AM on Friday. We lost power, and as I was going to get my flashlight, the power came back on. (about 30 seconds)

The rain came down in buckets, but as I did have power, and I could hear my sump going, I figured everything was OK. When I go down in the basement around noon on friday, the entire carpet is soaked. WTF?

My sump is working still, and as I said, we had power for all but 30 seconds of the storm.

Is it possible that water was coming in faster than my sump could pump it out?

Are there any other explanations for why I am spending most of my Saturday trying to dry out my basement?

Any tips for getting rid of the moisture other than sucking the water up, dehumidifier, and fans?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Basement Flooded ---Help

[ QUOTE ]
Well the big storm that rolled thru the US this past week hit my neck of the woods about 1:00 AM on Friday. We lost power, and as I was going to get my flashlight, the power came back on. (about 30 seconds)

The rain came down in buckets, but as I did have power, and I could hear my sump going, I figured everything was OK. When I go down in the basement around noon on friday, the entire carpet is soaked. WTF?

My sump is working still, and as I said, we had power for all but 30 seconds of the storm.

Is it possible that water was coming in faster than my sump could pump it out?

Are there any other explanations for why I am spending most of my Saturday trying to dry out my basement?

Any tips for getting rid of the moisture other than sucking the water up, dehumidifier, and fans?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep the dehumidifier running 24/7 with the fans going nonstop. You're probably going to have to pull the carpet. The mold that is forming right now under the carpet will create a smell that is never going to go away. If you have insurance vs. floods as part of your homeowner's policy, then take advantage of it. Bear in mind that your carrier will likely drop this part of your policy for any future claims so it's going to be a one-shot deal. List everything that was damaged at full market value. They won't pay you 100%, but they'll be paying a percentage of the loss from a higher base amount.

I really wish I didn't know as much as I do about this, but I went through it last year....
Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks,

Still wondering though how does my basement flood when the sump is working and the power is on? I Really dont want this happening agian.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 PM

Maybe the short blackout somehow reset the pump so it ran at a lower level or something. It is also possible the flooding was so severe the sump pump couldn't keep up. If that was the case and these things happen frequently you need a pump with higher capacity.

You really need to hire a professional sanitation company for the cleanup, especially if you're in a humid climate. They will tear out the carpet and pad, sanitize and seal the concrete so there is no risk for mold down the road. This will cost a pretty penny but should be covered by flood insurance along with the carpet replacement, damages to other items etc.

It's a [censored] deal, but I urge you to deal with it up front rather than letting mold develop and then having to deal with the health hazards etc.

Swede
Old 06-10-2007, 03:39 PM

crack in your foundation?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks,

Still wondering though how does my basement flood when the sump is working and the power is on? I Really dont want this happening agian.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not uncommon. Sometimes the flood of water is simply too great for a sump pump to keep up with, which is one reason people have more than one sump pump. I have two myself, and have even considered a third.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crack in your foundation?

[/ QUOTE ]

This could also be true, and it's a bitch to try to find the source. Ground water can accumulate under your house and heavy downpours can force the water through seemingly insignificant cracks.

Get a licensed plumber out to check things out on Monday. It will be the best money you can spend.