Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Playing AA retarded

I decided to play AA totally random, not sure if there's any value whatsoever in playing this way:

Raise in EP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Bad fish cold-calls in MP (basically any hand a tight player would play for 1 bet in LP), Straightforward BB calls.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks, I check knowing fish will bet the flop 100% of the time. This is also not the greatest flop for me. Fish bets, BB calls quickly, I call.

Turn is 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked to fish, he bets, BB clearly has a very weak hand, probably some weak pair or a gutshot. He thinks, and eventually calls. I call.

River is Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet...

S.O.P for me is to just bet, bet, bet. I checked flop and turn because basically fish will bet 100% of the time so I'm basically getting to act last on every street with the option to get in 2 bets whenever I want. I think the right play was to check-raise the turn. Just calling assured me one more bet on the river, but the pot is big enough to take it down on the turn I think. Anways, I think I should check-raise either flop or turn, any comments?

Fish will also call me on the turn with any heart, TP, and probably a J/9/5.

Second Hand:

2 limpers, I raise with KK in SB, BB calls.

Flop is AA5, two clubs. I bet, only MP straightforward solid player calls.

Turn is offsuit 5, I bet, planning to fold to any more action. Standard?

Anybody play this differently?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Playing AA retarded

I like the c/c on this flop. But you have to get more active on that turn. There's no guarantee you're beaten, and if you are, you have nut outs. I like leading this turn.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:11 PM

apt title. raise somewhere.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:47 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

If you insist on playing it this way occasionally go ahead and raise the turn. Why did you bet the river? In terms of bad cards to peel off that ranks number 1 or 2.

Second hand is perfect against a straightforward player. Against someone who will raise planning to check the river it's not so good.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:05 PM

Hand 1: If you know the fish will bet anything here on the flop why would you just check call? If you know that the other guy has a weak hand on the turn and once again the fish bets with anything, why wouldn't you check raise? I think you should just bet the entire way. The way you played it is classic backwards poker, check calling when you're ahead and betting when there's a good chance you're behind.

Hand 2 is fine. Sometimes I check behind the turn and call the bet on the river, but betting is fine too.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:41 PM

Yeah, I basically played the first hand backwards. I felt like I was playing tennis with a ball machine on my left that would keep launching balls out that would get BB stuck in the middle and then I could choose to just let them pass or smash them back at some point.

On the turn, I wussed out because fish always bet his flush draws or I felt he might have had QJ, but in retrospect he couldn't 3-bet me on the turn even with a hand that beats me.

It was strange, because it was one of those hands where I wanted exactly one bet from each player to go in on each street. Does this sound crazy? The board was pretty bad for an AA type hand, but I wanted one bet on each street. No more no less. It's kind of like where you have Ax in the BB and a MP raises and you call. And then you flop an Ace, and typically do the check-call, check-call, bet river line.

Another hand I played in a similar way. Had AQo in SB. Weak-tight EP limper, MP limps, LP solid raises, I call, BB calls. 5-way.

Flop is A-9-7 two clubs. Checked to EP who bets, LP calls, I call, fish folds. I know 100% EP has either AT/A8 type hand or A9/A7 two pair. LP has KK/QQ/JJ/TT, etc.

Turn is a Kc. I check, EP bets, I call. (Everyone else folded).

River is a blank, I bet.

If EP has a weak Ace, he's not betting the river in this hand. So I don't know if I'm ahead or behind, but I know I want one bet to go in on the river. Obviously I am at least calling, but I don't want to see the river get checked through.

I did a lot of river donks in this session (3 times in 2.5 hours)(missed one other river donk), and had the best hand 2/3 times.

First hand, I donk'd my AA and fish called reluctantly and MHIG. Last hand, I donk'd my AQ and EP quickly called with A9.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:42 PM

I would have liked the 1st hand if you check-raise the turn. I also am assumign you fold the river if raised.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to play AA totally random, not sure if there's any value whatsoever in playing this way:

Raise in EP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Bad fish cold-calls in MP (basically any hand a tight player would play for 1 bet in LP), Straightforward BB calls.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks, I check knowing fish will bet the flop 100% of the time. This is also not the greatest flop for me. Fish bets, BB calls quickly, I call.

Turn is 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked to fish, he bets, BB clearly has a very weak hand, probably some weak pair or a gutshot. He thinks, and eventually calls. I call.

River is Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet...

S.O.P for me is to just bet, bet, bet. I checked flop and turn because basically fish will bet 100% of the time so I'm basically getting to act last on every street with the option to get in 2 bets whenever I want. I think the right play was to check-raise the turn. Just calling assured me one more bet on the river, but the pot is big enough to take it down on the turn I think. Anways, I think I should check-raise either flop or turn, any comments?

Fish will also call me on the turn with any heart, TP, and probably a J/9/5.

Second Hand:

2 limpers, I raise with KK in SB, BB calls.

Flop is AA5, two clubs. I bet, only MP straightforward solid player calls.

Turn is offsuit 5, I bet, planning to fold to any more action. Standard?

Anybody play this differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise the turn. I don't like the river bet. If he made trips you get raised. If he has nothing he folds. Since you will call anyway, check to him on the river and perhaps induce a bluff. It wins the most if he has nothing and loses the least if he made trips.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 AM

hand 1 you need to raise the turn and either take it down or charge them more to chase. additionally, 1 pair is vulnerable, you can't give cheap cards in a nice sized pot.

hand 2 fine, you bet for value until someone shows strength.