Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Default tough/interesting spot in 3$

the situation is a 3$ turbo tourney with the blinds increasing every five minutes. play has been pretty tight but some idiots have been making plays and getting caught. read on original raiser is that he is a TAG but raising a little wider range than usual(his range can include hands like KQs, KJs, etc), no reads on the re-raiser except he seems solid.

Full Tilt Poker Game #4146360844: $3 + $0.30 Tournament (31403225), Table 49 - 50/100 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:44:39 ET - 2007/11/11
Seat 1: Yossarian99 (9,005)
Seat 2: GT Driver (2,015)
Seat 3: thaibreadman (2,370)
Seat 4: JOEYflargins (2,205)
Seat 5: Tanman77 (1,740)
Seat 6: omegaMC (2,140)
Seat 7: ChopBlock64 (6,935)
Seat 8: CouldHappen1 (2,940)
Seat 9: bowmanator (3,565)
JOEYflargins posts the small blind of 50
Tanman77 posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bowmanator [As Kh]
omegaMC folds
ChopBlock64 raises to 285
CouldHappen1 raises to 2,940, and is all in
bowmanator has 15 seconds left to act..
standard shove? crying call? fold?

p.s. sorry as this is my first post i have no idea how to use the HH converter, whoever wants to post and show me how it would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: tough/interesting spot in 3$

Use HH converter by going here:

http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Make sure to change the format to 2+2, and everything else should be self-explanatory.

Edit: Sorry, forgot I haven't found a converter for Full Tilt tournies.

In this hand, I'd probably fold. First of all, you usually don't want to get it in with AK this deep. Second, it was a re-raise all-in. At best you're even money, and most likely behind. Prob not AA/KK, but a mid to high pair is reasonable. If you're ultra lucky, he has AQ.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 AM

This is a fold IMO. The problems with the call:

* As YNnOs mentioned you are at best even money (with some death money in the pot, but not much: 435. Not enough to compensate IMO). Really favorable situations are so rare here, I think it's probably -cEV or maybe +-.
* You're up against two opponents who both could have a hand that has you crushed. The table has been playing tight, so most of the time they both have a hand (ep raiser and R). It's not so likely that the re-raiser has AA or KK (to big a raise for those hands), so I think he usually has AK, AQs (less likely), QQ-TT. It's not really bad, but not really interesting either to play AK against that range.
* Imagine the re-raiser has JJ, and the original raiser folds AJ (or even worse AK) to the all-in and your call. Now you are 45% or so, but one of your 'out's' (the A) is already folded. The KJ's etc in his range make it even more likely that he does have one of your outs (the more K's he play's...).
* There are 5 people behind you. This only slightly influences the decission
* The fact that it's Turbo, doesn't mean that you have to gamble this early. You probably have an edge in the push-fold game later on.
* Be more interested in getting involved with the smaller stacks (seats 2-6)
* If it's so hard to think of a really good scenario, I prefer a fold.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

* As YNnOs mentioned you are at best even money (with some death money in the pot, but not much: 435. Not enough to compensate IMO).

[/ QUOTE ]

thank GOD for death money.

shove and beat TT and 88
Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 PM

Easy shove in a $3 turbo. QJo, A7o, 22, 98s are all in the reraiser's range. The fields in these are so full of donks there's no way I'm folding AK here, ever. Even if he seems "solid", what's your sample size? 10 hands? That doesn't tell us much, certainly not enough to fold AK here.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this hand, I'd probably fold. First of all, you usually don't want to get it in with AK this deep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh noes, not 35BB's deep.

Shove.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a fold IMO. The problems with the call:

* As YNnOs mentioned you are at best even money (with some death money in the pot, but not much: 435. Not enough to compensate IMO). Really favorable situations are so rare here, I think it's probably -cEV or maybe +-.
* You're up against two opponents who both could have a hand that has you crushed. The table has been playing tight, so most of the time they both have a hand (ep raiser and R). It's not so likely that the re-raiser has AA or KK (to big a raise for those hands), so I think he usually has AK, AQs (less likely), QQ-TT. It's not really bad, but not really interesting either to play AK against that range.
* Imagine the re-raiser has JJ, and the original raiser folds AJ (or even worse AK) to the all-in and your call. Now you are 45% or so, but one of your 'out's' (the A) is already folded. The KJ's etc in his range make it even more likely that he does have one of your outs (the more K's he play's...).
* There are 5 people behind you. This only slightly influences the decission
* The fact that it's Turbo, doesn't mean that you have to gamble this early. You probably have an edge in the push-fold game later on.
* Be more interested in getting involved with the smaller stacks (seats 2-6)
* If it's so hard to think of a really good scenario, I prefer a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is well thought out, it's incorrect. Your hand ranges are to tight for a $3 turbo and in 10 minutes you won't be deep at all (you aren't that deep right now).

It's a shove. You need chips to stay in the game, you have AK get em in.