Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 AM

Default $24+$2, questions about 2 hands vs the same guy

FTP, $26 buy in, 28k garunteed. 1100 entered, about 400 or so left.

EMP raises to 700 with an additional 5000 behind. I have about 5500 chips total (almost exactly the same) and it folds to me in the BB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I really don't have any read on him so I call (which I have been questioning but most of my buddy's generally like the play).

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Check Check
Turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check and he bets 400. At his point I think he is either stealing or has a made hand but can I really fold?
River is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check and he bets 700. I call and he shows A9.

I am giving you that hand because this is basically what I know about him. He won a coin flip earlier but thats my experience with this player when the following hand comes up:

We have now cashed and there's about 140 players left. I have 9500 chips and he has 8000 chips. He raises again from EMP to 2200 and it folds around to me in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. What is my action?

Results posted in white:

<font color="white"> I didn't want to just call because thats about 1/4+ of my chips and I'm out of position, plus BB is still left to act. I raised to like 5500 and he pushed, I called and he had AK. I busted a few hands later. I really don't like folding to someone who I've raised with the A9o. And because I didn't want to fold there, I raised, not believing I can afford to call. </font>
Old 10-29-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: $24+$2, questions about 2 hands vs the same guy

What were the blinds in these hands?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:47 AM

Sorry, 100-200 for the first (he raised to 700 with A9o). Then 250-500 and he raised to 2200.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 AM

I would offer my insight but I play this tourney all the time and I don't think I've cashed in like a month, so obviously I'm not gonna be much help. My experience is that every time I don't flop a big hand someone plays back at me super hard and every time I get pissed because of it and play back at them they have it.

Ok, so I'll do it anyway. The first hand, meh, I know how you feel, I doubt I could have folded on the turn, I probably would have talked myself into the river call too. I mean, you could say "no one would make a bluff that size" but then again I'd never play any hand like he did ever, and I don't think his play is good regardless of what he has, so how can you put him on a better hand often enough to fold at that price when he's making stupid bets. Anyway, onto the second hand, umm, it's different, for one his PF raise is a lot higher % of his stack size. Also, even if his range is A9+, AJ only falls in the middle (yes I know about KQ too but whatever) so it's not like you have him crushed or anything. In hand 2 I'd probably just let it go honestly, it looks like he's committed himself...I mean the stacks are right for a sng for you, which is probably the way to go if you don't fold, but I'm not sure I like it with his PF raise size...he doesn't look like he's folding, and although I don't see AA/KK here, I think he has us beat. Of course, he could just be an idiot who has no concept of raising x amount of his stack.

edit: read the results, yeah, calling that's not a sng would suck, but that's gotta be the way to go, since you have little to no FE on a shove PF whereas you should have some on a sng. Also, yeah I thought this raise looked strong, but I may be biased because you wouldn't have made the thread if he showed A9 again.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 AM

Well i actually put his range more on AK-A7, KQ, KJ, QJs, Jts, or mid-high pocket pair. Specifically I put him on pockets so I thought maybe there was some fold equity. But of all those hands I'm actually losing to about 20% of those. But yeah, looking back, without seeing more hands that he played nuts and bad like the first one I think I need to lay it down.