8k-15k 12 15.79%
15k-25k 6 7.89%
25k-50k 2 2.63%
50k+ (Please explain) 1 1.32%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Famous classical violinist plays in subway station - No one notice

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that really surprised me is that a violin can be worth $3.5 million. WTF is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently watched the commentary track on "The West Wing" episode where Yo-Yo Ma did a cameo. The producer and director marveled at how casually Yo-Yo Ma walked into the studios, carrying a $7,000,000 Stradivarius cello on his back, even letting the other actors play with it.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
super hot bassoonist

[/ QUOTE ]

Good band name.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that really surprised me is that a violin can be worth $3.5 million. WTF is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stradivarius obv.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
That works out to $93,368 per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

incidentally, this is the basic starting salary for a violinist in the Boston Philharmonic.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 AM

What a revealing reflection on the current state of the Violinist world.

"All the kids are playing oboes these days" said nobody.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God, this is just the epitome of self-aggrandizing douche baggery. This article is just a really long way to say that if you arent a part of high-brow culture you must be a brain-dead moran, and not someone who just wants to get home to his wife and kids asap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is what the article is saying at all. It's about context and noticing brilliance in an otherwise normal, mundane setting. The example they give about putting a valuable painting in a restaurant illustrates this.

I also think it is making the opposite statement on high-brow culture, as I bet many of the people passed by actually listen to classical music, but can only recognize him if they pay $100 for seats in a concert hall. Why are they paying for that if they can't even recognize his music?

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

DN:
Correct.

I can't believe how many people are misreading this article. Context context context
Old 04-11-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It all comes off as pompous to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-11-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think that is what the article is saying at all. It's about context and noticing brilliance in an otherwise normal, mundane setting. The example they give about putting a valuable painting in a restaurant illustrates this.

I also think it is making the opposite statement on high-brow culture, as I bet many of the people passed by actually listen to classical music, but can only recognize him if they pay $100 for seats in a concert hall. Why are they paying for that if they can't even recognize his music?

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the reason people are misreading this article is because it's composed in such an appallingly self satisfied and over written style (Fungible? Honestly.)

Actually it's worse than that as the writer appears to be actively trying to draw a line between those who are sensitive enough to recognise great music (llike the cultural hero at the end), and those poor drones who whether through business, poor education, distraction or simple boorishness, can't. He mentions some excuses for those people, but in the end comes down to the facile argument that really, despite it all we "ought" to appreciate great artistry if it's plonked in front of us

The premise is rubbish. I work in one of the most recognisable building in the world. It's an incredible work of beauty throughout. 99% of the time I'm there i'm doing something. I have a purpose. I'm focussed on that. I do appreciate what's around me, but if an art student asked me why I didn't stop and admire a particular sculpture, or feature or painting within its walls, I'd feel not in the slightest boorish in explaining that for me, at that time, the beauty is just the background to my job.

I've also taken the time to explore the building to admire it. But at a time when I choose, when i can enjoy it.

This is my other point- what Bell was doing was an intrusion, not wanted. He might be a great violinist, but he was playing music uninvited, unwanted, in a space and a place when people are trying to focus on other things. The surpise isn't that he did so badly, but that he did so well.

Bell seems to understand that what he was doing could be unwelcome, or unwanted, and that forcing your talent on people is not so much a request to share beauty, but a demand to be heard that could be unwelcome, no matter how well performed.

Bell gets it, but the author doesn't. To me that's a failure of basic journalistic sympathy.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 PM

I think the author's point is that everyone's too stressed to notice anything going on around them. Josh Bell was just an example of this.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:17 PM

99% of the time I'm there i'm doing something. I have a purpose. I'm focussed on that. I do appreciate what's around me, but if an art student asked me why I didn't stop and admire a particular sculpture, or feature or painting within its walls, I'd feel not in the slightest boorish in explaining that for me, at that time, the beauty is just the background to my job.

--maybe u shouldn't be so focused 99% of the time. say only 75%