Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: 5/10 live game play that I got blasted for!

LOL @ Hero getting cursed for an excellent pot equity move [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's something you gotta live with playing live [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

However, I want to throw this in - I don't remember where I read it (might even be SSHE), but it was advised to try and limit your tricky aggressive moves at a table full of loose passive tourists. You might lower you expectation in one particular hand (by not popping the equity, or by betting the river versus check/raising, etc), but you want to keep your villains playing nice and loose, you want them to keep making mistakes.
By making aggressive plays, you basically piss them off and make them inadvertently play correctly against you. They will try to beat YOU now. They will be more aggressive and tricky against YOU. You might be trading short-term higher expectation for long-term lower one.

Just something to think about ...
Old 07-08-2007, 03:46 PM

This hand is fine, thought about raising the flop immediately, but then with all the calling stations, I'd rather not want to chase them out as we probably do not need to protect our outs here.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ Hero getting cursed for an excellent pot equity move [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's something you gotta live with playing live [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

However, I want to throw this in - I don't remember where I read it (might even be SSHE), but it was advised to try and limit your tricky aggressive moves at a table full of loose passive tourists. You might lower you expectation in one particular hand (by not popping the equity, or by betting the river versus check/raising, etc), but you want to keep your villains playing nice and loose, you want them to keep making mistakes.
By making aggressive plays, you basically piss them off and make them inadvertently play correctly against you. They will try to beat YOU now. They will be more aggressive and tricky against YOU. You might be trading short-term higher expectation for long-term lower one.

Just something to think about ...

[/ QUOTE ]

personally i think inducing tilt is very +EV...you just gotta know how to take advantage.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:05 PM

making people angry is a perk of playing live poker. learn to enjoy it. One of the best times I've had playing live was a drunken 2/4 night with a hand similar to this that ended with the dealer having to call security because this kid was so pissed at me for hitting my draw. I was laughing hysterically.

The moral is you're only playing for yourself. Keep on the good side of EV and roll with it.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 PM

lol. I love it when people think you are insane for jamming a pot based on your equity when it is not currently the best hand.

I hope Button steamed for a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After a break I post from LMP cause live poker sucks and its boring

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero posts LMP with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG raises, 2 callers, Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ]

Causal relationships FTW.

Don't know if I'm a big fan of the flop 3-bet, if only because you made it without knowing the table, thus limiting, not enhancing, the pot you're going to win. You're not going to fold anyone at a live game who has two diamonds higher than yours, and with the flop raiser behind you you're unlikely to get a free card out of it, costing you an extra BB on the turn. And when you DO turn the flush, everyone with a broadway card of that suit who remains in the hand would have given you action on the turn...if you hadn't folded their overcards.

BTW, last night a flush-crazed villain (to whose immediate left I moved ASAP) pulled a move something like this in a raised 5-way pot. What he didn't know when he hit his flush is that I had two higher flush cards. A significant amount of his mobnies (as well as those of the guy with the nut straight who didn't properly read the board) now reside in my wallet.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Oh, and last night I tilted an old nit by calling her a slowroller.

She WAS a slowroller, but no one who regularly waits for everyone else to show before tabling their winner EVER believes they're slowrolling.

She proceeded to "educate" me on how seeing other people's hands was an important part of the game, and how if I didn't recognize that I shouldn't be playing. I responded that anyone who could use that information in any kind of a significant manner surely would be playing higher than 4/8 by now. She steamed more.

Live poker r00lz.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
personally i think inducing tilt is very +EV...you just gotta know how to take advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Inducing tilt" is vastly overrated. Anyone who will make stupid plays vs. your good cards will usually not require tilting to make those plays in the first place.

And in live poker, you run the additional risk of having 5 or 6 opponents all believe you're full of it when you raise - preventing your raises from thinning a field that collectively has great odds to outdraw you when you ARE ahead.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

She proceeded to "educate" me on how seeing other people's hands was an important part of the game, and how if I didn't recognize that I shouldn't be playing. I responded that anyone who could use that information in any kind of a significant manner surely would be playing higher than 4/8 by now. She steamed more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gold! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Igni, wtf are you doing playing poker, if you can't understand the simplest concepts? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 AM

I love live players who think they are amazing at poker, and berate plays like this, I just laugh and say yup im a fish, but i like to gambool.