Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Stars 25-50 Shortstackers

[ QUOTE ]
and im not standing on some sort of 'ethical' high horse. im not saying i carry myself more morally than anyone else. im just pointing out how you guys are misusing the word 'ethical' and stretching it to define some pretty absurd things

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment was meant to be general, not directed at you. But I still find it very amusing that poker players berate short stackers as being 'unethical'.

I have never seen a poker player intervene when some drunk sits at the table, or some action junky, offering to take them to an AA meeting or a GA meeting. It's more like everyone is secretly salivating like hungry lions ready to rip them to shreads while putting their innocent games face on. lol

I admire ethical poker players, but in the grand scheme of things it's funny as hell to think of professional poker players being critical of others 'ethics'. hahaa
Old 03-12-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ratholing is unethical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-12-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah! Especially that Barry Greenstein guy!

Like geez, when I think about guys that will never ever garner any respect or be considered good poker players, I think BARRY GREENSTEIN!

C'mon people, shortstacking isn't unethical. Going south and ratholing are unethical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Finally. I can't believe I had to wade through 26 pages of posts for someone to actually mention BG.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 PM

ActionJeff,

We can do an experiment and see who has a better winrate shortstacking, between me and a "top tournament player". I think I would win.

I just feel that playing tournaments and being an expert shortstacker are related but are very different in practice. In tournaments you have different relative stack sizes, the players vary much more in tightness/looseness, etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ActionJeff,

We can do an experiment and see who has a better winrate shortstacking, between me and a "top tournament player". I think I would win.

I just feel that playing tournaments and being an expert shortstacker are related but are very different in practice. In tournaments you have different relative stack sizes, the players vary much more in tightness/looseness, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baron,

I don't know you or your game, but I don't doubt you. My point was that short stacking isn't very hard, and someone who is used to it like a very good tournament player would probably be better than most of the current stars short stackers (who aren't very good).

-Jeff
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yup. I gave it a try recently, just to experiment. It was very easy, and a top MTT player would be a lot better at it than any of the current short stacks in the game.

However, at this point the games have dried up so much, have so many short stacks, and are playing so tight, that I doubt its very profitable for even a very skilled player to shortstack.

-Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, so you think it's "very easy" meaning you think you can make money, and you admit that you're not very good at it, yet you think the games aren't good enough for anyone to make good money at it?

makes a lot of sense.

a lot of the current shortstacks are making good money, despite the fact that probably none of them are playing anywhere near optimally (myself included).
Old 03-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Ahh, I didn't realize how bad the current people are.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yup. I gave it a try recently, just to experiment. It was very easy, and a top MTT player would be a lot better at it than any of the current short stacks in the game.

However, at this point the games have dried up so much, have so many short stacks, and are playing so tight, that I doubt its very profitable for even a very skilled player to shortstack.

-Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, so you think it's "very easy" meaning you think you can make money, and you admit that you're not very good at it, , yet you think the games aren't good enough for anyone to make good money at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you got that from?

but yes it seems to me that the games are worse now because of the play tightening but mostly because there are so many short stacks at the table, which is obviously really bad for all the shorties

this isn't really on topic for the thread anyway, just an observation I made
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, so you think it's "very easy" meaning you think you can make money, and you admit that you're not very good at it, , yet you think the games aren't good enough for anyone to make good money at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you got that from?

but yes it seems to me that the games are worse now because of the play tightening but mostly because there are so many short stacks at the table, which is obviously really bad for all the shorties

this isn't really on topic for the thread anyway, just an observation I made

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i misread it, i thought you were saying the top tournament players would be better than you. my bad.

btw - how did you determine that it's "very easy"?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw - how did you determine that it's "very easy"?

[/ QUOTE ]

ur a bright guy, you can figure out how he came to this assumption.

-Mike