View Poll Results: Pick 2
Parker @ CHI 1 8.33%
Brown vs. DEN 1 8.33%
Taylor @ SF 5 41.67%
Green @ BUF 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

so funny how espn turns the manny comments into a national story but nobody here cares. maybe it's because everyone with a brain here knows manny is gonna play his heart out at every at bat. he's basically just saying we're gonna go play our best and see what happens. sounds good to me. you can't control the outcome of the game just like you can't control the cards in poker. seems like manny has a better grasp of the game than anyone in the media.. or this forum perhaps.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like manny has a better grasp of the game than anyone in the media.. or this forum perhaps.

[/ QUOTE ]

unrelated, Mayor Bloomberg was asked about whether or not Torre should be fired, and his answer was basically "no, sometimes things just don't go your way, can't blame it on the manager".

shocking how non-baseball people sometimes understand things better than baseball people.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:44 AM

fwiw, bloomberg was the guy who said to watch out for sweaty arabs in the NYC subways because they might be terrorists, take it as u will
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, bloomberg was the guy who said to watch out for sweaty arabs in the NYC subways because they might be terrorists, take it as u will

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely VASTLY more likely to be terrorists than a 90 year old white grandmother.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so bloomberg good at baseball management, bad at terrorism.

average mlb ownership bad at baseball management, good at terrorism?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 AM

heh, i just remember everyone made fun of that stupid comment, lol, it's like he's never been in the NYC subways before
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Goose Gosage who was on the mound when the Yankees beat the Red Sox in the 78 playoff game said in an interview that when he went onto the field he was petrified that he would fail and then he said to himself what's the worst that can happen. And his answer to himself was that if he blew it he would be out duck hunting the rest of the Fall so it was no big deal.

Only difference is that Manny is saying the same thing out loud.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When did Bloomberg say that? He has always been anti-profiling as I recall and don't remember that kind of verbal screw up.

On Torre: There are many reasons to change the Yankees manager -- I know that I called for his firing in May or June -- but losing the ALDS this year is not one of them. The fact that this has gotten tied so tightly with the outcome of that series (by Steinbrenner, of course) has really clouded up the issue.

Edit: And Bloomberg rides the subway all the time -- actually not sure if he still does, but in the early years of his reign as mayor, he was known for taking the subway from the Upper Eastside to City Hall.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On Torre: There are many reasons to change the Yankees manager -- I know that I called for his firing in May or June -- but losing the ALDS this year is not one of them. The fact that this has gotten tied so tightly with the outcome of that series (by Steinbrenner, of course) has really clouded up the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Steinbrenner's comment being taken very seriously? I assume his son took over due to health/old age. I would think that most fans (even 'typical' fans) would know that is not why Torre would be fired.

craig
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Steinbrenner's comment being taken very seriously? I assume his son took over due to health/old age. I would think that most fans (even 'typical' fans) would know that is not why Torre would be fired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steinbrenner's comment has been taken very seriously. It was never clear where the balance of power was and whether his sons were allowed to make any meaningful decisions. Since the end of the ALDS, there has been more power officially transfered to the sons, but it has also been made clear that George's approval (or at least lack of non-approval) is necessary on all major decisions. He was a participant in the Tampa talks.

It is also considered conventional wisdom in the NY media right now that Torre is almost definitely coming back and there are negotiation going on about his contract (will he take a pay cut while still being the highest paid manager in baseball and will he get multiple years).

But enough on Torre... I want to see more panicy posts from Sox fans about tonight's game!