Parker @ CHI 1 8.33%
Brown vs. DEN 1 8.33%
Taylor @ SF 5 41.67%
Green @ BUF 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
manny is manny, but how does he not get shot at for saying things like that by hardcore fans??

if wright said that, i'd come after him with a bat

[/ QUOTE ]

1) It isn't the end of the world.

2) Manny seems to have a history of playing well when he doesn't feel a lot of pressure.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
manny is manny, but how does he not get shot at for saying things like that by hardcore fans??

[/ QUOTE ]

2) Manny seems to have a history of playing well when he doesn't feel a lot of pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, are you saying manny is unclutch? or rather playing well when it doesn't matter?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, are you saying manny is unclutch? or rather playing well when it doesn't matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say he's played well since 1995
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM

I am saying that him freaking out and not being relaxed would not be good.

Here are some not out of context quotes from that same interview:

[ QUOTE ]
“We’re confident every day. It doesn’t matter. We’re not going to give up. We’re going to play the game and move on. If it doesn’t happen, who cares? There’s always next year. It’s not like it’s the end of the world.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
“We’ve been in this situation before. We’ve got a great team over here. The other side, they’re playing great, they’re pitching the way they should and they’re coming through with big hits. What can you do, man? You just think about Thursday. You come and play hard, and it’s not over yet.”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
“It’s good (to have postseason records) but if I would have known that I was going to be in the World Series and not have those records, I’d give them up in a heartbeat. Who cares about records, man?”

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
“Hey, anything is possible. We’ve been behind, but we’re going to keep playing the way we’ve been playing all year long with some confidence. We’re going to go and have fun, and let’s see what’s going to happen.”

[/ QUOTE ]

craig
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c we know it doesn't affect how he actually plays, and that's what really matters. in 12 years he's never played less than 120 games (usually around 150) and has been a consistent, excellent hitter the entire time. for all the infuriating stuff he's done, you have to look at the results and understand there is a method to the madness. or maybe not, but whatever he's been doing his whole life seems to be working, so why question it?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 AM

There is nothing more annoying than idiots who constantly feed the "manny is lazy, manny doesn't care, manny plays when he feels like it" thing. The guy has never been injured for a long time, takes fewer games off than most players during the year, has always hit for average and power, and produces in the playoffs. And anyone who has actually been around the Red Sox has said he is the hardest working hitter on the team.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 AM

My wife heard on ESPN that Boggs said that Manny doesn't have any fight left in him. Can anyone confirm that he said that?

craig
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 AM

I wasn't intently listening but I don't think he did. Boggs just bagged on Manny for not having enough heart, harkening back to "my days with the Yankees when we'd all go out to dinner together." Typical old-timer comments.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say he's played well since 1995

[/ QUOTE ]

"playing well when not under pressure" is almost the same as "playing worse when under pressure". i don't think he's played poorly under pressure, but i wanted to make sure that's what the poster said.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"playing well when not under pressure" is almost the same as "playing worse when under pressure". i don't think he's played poorly under pressure, but i wanted to make sure that's what the poster said.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that if Manny 'freaked out' or thought that losing was the end of the world, that I don't think he would do as well. This is me assuming that part of the reason he has done as well as he has is due to not feeling much pressure at the plate.

craig