Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Rockingham Park TR

I had my chance to sit at Rockingham Park in NH this evening.

For the unfamiliar, Rockingham is just over the NH/MA border in Salem, NH. It is a harness-racing track.

My girlfriend had a function this evening in Medford, MA. This was convenient, for I needed cigarettes and was already half-way to the border. The great state of New Hampshire is not keen on tobacco taxes, much unlike the lesser Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Live Free or Die indeed.

After making my appropriate life-expectancy-shortening purchase, I had 90 minutes to kill. Ooh. A poker room.

The room is only the lower level of the facility in a room that best resembles a newer high school cafeteria. However, the room is, um, roomy and fairly comfortably, with adequately high ceilings. Also, there are, from what I recall, floor-to-ceiling windows that probably face the racetrack. I'm not sure, it was dark. It's always dark, since the room is only open from 6pm-Midnight Tuesday-Sunday. I could be wrong about this, but they're definitely not open Mondays.

High ceilings and windows were a welcomed change from Foxwoods.

In the middle of the room was a bar with six stools. This is a nice touch. There are also some tables and chairs, which are probably suitable for killing time while waiting for the next SNG.

There was a sign advertising the "Food Court of the World" or some such nonsense. They offered burgers, pizza, and chicken fingers.

Since this is a racetrack, there are TV's everywhere. Strangely enough, though most of the TV's were showing some simulcast action, I did not see a betting window in the room. Though abundant, the TV's are small.

There around probably around 25 tables. The tables themselves are garbage. They have folding legs, and the felt will wear out in a few months (probably less). The Rockingham Park logo was unimpressive.

The tables are weak; the chairs are worse. They are low-quality chairs, with metal legs and padded seats. They cannot cost more than $18 each in bulk.

The dealer chair had three(!) additional cushions on it. These cushions were semi-permanent additions. I was mildly alarmed when the new dealer brought a fourth cushion with him. He looked comfortable.

The chips are plain with a small, and again unimpressive RP, logo on them. Blues are $1 and reds are $2. They were still very new, and difficult to shuffle.

The bathrooms are right off the room, about 15 steps from my table. The highlight of my visit was the old-school, down-to-the-floor style urinals. When I buy a house, I'm having one of these installed. It's the little things in life that give me pleasure.

The main action is sit and go's. I don't know what the juice is or how it relates.

I do not play SNG's, or much no-limit in general. This is unfortunate. One look and I could tell that the action is nothing short of fantastic.

To Do List: Read those HOH's you've had on the shelf for six months.

And now, my games. The cash games.

NH currently offers 1/2 limit cash games. However, these are not true 1/2 limit games. Instead, they are that poker abortion that Florida used to offer. Blinds $1 and $2, and bets on ALL streets $2 with a four-bet cap. Cap is removed if the street starts HU.

Hold'em, Stud, Omahaha 8, and Crazy Pineapple were offered. I do not know what Crazy Pineapple is; I do not want to know.

Dealers were obviously green, and a couple pitched the cards way too high. They were very nice. Most people in New Hampshire are very nice. One of the dealers was actually very good.

The cards are [censored]. The suit is indicated under the rank, so you have to pick your card half-way up to see if you hold a freaking diamond. They also seemed to mark easily; we needed a deck change.

I have no idea what the rake is. I didn't even notice the dealer taking rake, so I guess that's good. If it was abusive, I would have noticed. Basically I thought to myself, "Wow. I could probably beat this game for like $20 an hour."

The action was very loose and passive, mostly older folks. This makes the games ridiculously easy, but unbearably slow.

End result (one hour): +$48, or 1.4 cartons of Camel Lights.

Smoke if you got 'em.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Rockingham Park TR

Enjoyed the writing style of your post.

[ QUOTE ]
The highlight of my visit was the old-school, down-to-the-floor style urinals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go one exit past Rockingham, and look for Canobie Lake Park. It's a tiny, 100-year-old amusement park.

It's ridiculously expensive for such a tiny park. And there's no poker.

But floor-length urinals? Everywhere! They freaked me out the first time I saw them, when I was a kid (that last exit before you hit the state line, Pelham Street, was where I grew up).
Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Enjoyed the writing style of your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment.

Please don't tell P.J. O'Rourke that I stole his style, and did so quite poorly.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Great post.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there are, from what I recall, floor-to-ceiling windows that probably face the racetrack. I'm not sure, it was dark. It's always dark, since the room is only open from 6pm-Midnight Tuesday-Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

The windows do face the track. They are open 3-12 Tues-Fri and 12-12 Sat/Sun.

[ QUOTE ]
Strangely enough, though most of the TV's were showing some simulcast action, I did not see a betting window in the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a betting window opposite the track along the long side of the room. The left side is the tournament registration area, the right side is the betting window. It is nearest to the SNG signup table. Maybe it was closed when you were there?

[ QUOTE ]
The main action is sit and go's. I don't know what the juice is or how it relates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the only reason to play there. $40/60/80/100 10-handed SNGs and $150 6-handed SNGs. I think the juice starts at 25% for the 40/60 and goes down from there. The action and level of play more than makes up for it though.

[ QUOTE ]
One look and I could tell that the action is nothing short of fantastic.

To Do List: Read those HOH's you've had on the shelf for six months.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need much in the way of strategy. Buy-in, flop anything higher than 1-pair, put it all in, get called by TPNK or SPNK, profit.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Here's the links to the rake, as well as blinds for tournaments and SNG's.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 AM

I do not know what Crazy Pineapple is; I do not want to know.

Too bad, I'm going to tell you anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

It is a variant of Hold'em where everyone is dealt 3 hole cards and discards one after acting on the flop. Sometimes played high-low.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Wait a second, that actually sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] There was a time when Foxwoods had high ceilings and huge windows.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] There was a time when Foxwoods had high ceilings and huge windows.

[/ QUOTE ]

But did they have floor-length urinals? For the love of God, did they have floor-length urinals?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But did they have floor-length urinals? For the love of God, did they have floor-length urinals?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, my aversion to splatter is not to be made sport of.