Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

[ QUOTE ]
2002- Eagles went 7-3 with McNabb. They then went 5-1 without McNabb(and the loss was in week 17 which may have been meaningless...I'm not sure)

[/ QUOTE ]

But there's a problem with your analysis: you're only focusing on win/loss records. Remember our discussion about Brad Johnson leading into 2006? You can't just look at win/loss records.

In 2002, the Eagles were 5-1 with AJ Feeley against bad competition.

Defeated 7-9 STL 10-3.
Defeated 7-9 SEA 27-20.
Defeated 7-9 WAS 34-21.
Defeated 5-11 DAL 27-3.
Lost to 10-6 NYG 10-7 (OT). This game mattered in the standings.

So yeah, that's nice and all for a backup QB, but still all those wins were against losing teams.

[ QUOTE ]
2003- McNabb played every game and went 12-4

2004- McNabb played 15 games and went 13-2. They lost the one game he didn't play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's throw out the last two games of 2004, making them 13-1 with McNabb and 0-0 without him.

[ QUOTE ]
2005- McNabb played 9 games and went 4-5. They went 2-5 without him.

2006- McNabb played 10 games and went 5-5. They went 5-1 wihtout him.

[/ QUOTE ]

But as we've gone over ad infinitum, the Eagles were historically unlucky during that 5-5 run. They were WAY better than 5-5. A lot of that luck evened out over the second half, paving the way for Garcia's run.

And once again, the super backup faced an easy schedule.

Lost to 12-4 IND 45-21.
Defeated 8-8 CAR 27-24.
Defeated 5-11 WAS 21-19.
Defeated 8-8 NYG 36-22.
Defeated 9-7 DAL 23-7.

Mostly .500 competition, but as we all know, .500 in the NFC last year didn't mean much.

We can also throw out the last game of 2006 since that didn't matter either.

You're also throwing out some great seasons by McNabb since he played the whole year - that's not really fair imo. So overall since 2001, throwing out the last two games of 2004 and the last of 2006 since they didn't matter:

With McNabb: 52-23 (.693) - ~11 wins for a season
W/O McNabb: 11-7 (.611) - ~9.7 wins for a season

So on the surface, your point has some validity: the Eagles have not shown a big regression without McNabb. But dig deeper and you realize the Eagles have won exactly one game against a winning team without McNabb: the stomping of Dallas last year. (The two games they won under McMahon were against 4-12 GB and 6-10 STL.)

So there is a bigger gap there than meets the eye.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 PM

12-4?

lmao
Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like McNabb a lot, but you have to admit that the Eagles have played surprisingly well without him when hes injured. Either their backups are great or McNabb maybe isn't as good as we all think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assani,

It seems to me that you think McNabb isn't as good as everything thinks. If that's not true, don't continue reading.

You need to factor in the possibility of the system being a good one and not the fact that maybe McNabb isn't as great as everything thinks.

Andy Reid runs a great version of the West Coast offense where the QB doesn't have to be outstanding, but good enough to execute.

When the other QBs came in for McNabb those years, they were taught the system well enough that they could still execute and succeed.

It's clear the Eagles can be a winning team without McNabb, but there's a big difference between 9-7 and 11-5. And I believe that McNabb's top QB skills are able to produce that two win difference, something other QBs can't do.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 AM

this thread needed a morale boost.

also, Bitcho, what is your NFL team? I already have a hunch, but I'm curious to see if i'm correct.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this game on national TV tonight? I'd like to see Kolb in the 2nd half.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wish he got his first snap in Philly, so I could listen to the smattering of boos. I really hope McNabb starts for us for another 6+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the point of this post. First of all, it isn't Kolb's fault he got drafted "high". Second of all, you people booed McNabb on draft day and he's fukin awesome. Third of all, whether or not McNabb is one of the best QB's in the league, you should still hope to develop a top-notch backup (or maybe you don't remember as far back as 2006?). Fourth of all, if McNabb stays healthy and plays at this level for the next 6 years, sure, he should start. But if Kolb (or anyone else) does better at some point, you should want the best option in there.

But good post. Just loaded with pertinent information.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of Philly fans are just idiots I've found. They're ridiculous homers on one hand, and then on the other hand they berate their own players even when its clear that their booing is hurting their team. There are a few exceptions, including a few very good posters on this board that are Philly fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you think I'm one of those idiots, Assani, but the only time I have ever booed the Eagles was when they punted last year in the playoffs. And sure I'm a homer, but aren't we all? And honestly, the biggest homers I have ever met are Skins fans (I'm not implying you).

edit: apparently I am an idiot because I can't even spell the damn word.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this thread needed a morale boost.

also, Bitcho, what is your NFL team? I already have a hunch, but I'm curious to see if i'm correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seahawks, ftw.

What, you think I was going to say teh Patriots?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seahawks, ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, actually I was figuring you'd say the Cowboys. but the Patriots would have been awful, too.

Seahawks, not so bad.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seahawks, ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, actually I was figuring you'd say the Cowboys. but the Patriots would have been awful, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was expecting the same thing. And I like Butch. Go figure.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:02 PM

So does anyone here have any inside info on what's going on with Shane Andrews? Is his season and/or career over? Will he be back for game 1, playing hurt? Is it a degenerative condition that will prematurely end his career? ETc.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So does anyone here have any inside info on what's going on with Shane Andrews? Is his season and/or career over? Will he be back for game 1, playing hurt? Is it a degenerative condition that will prematurely end his career? ETc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last I heard on Andrews he was getting better, but they were holding him out of practice and what not. They haven't said anything about it being a serious, long-term issue, afaik.