Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 AM

Default NL50: QQ top set on monotone board

Hi, was wondering what anyone thought of the way I played this hand. I only joined the table with half a buyin as I was at work and it can make some decisions simpler if I'm busy. No reads on villain, only been at the table about 10 hands (no action during those hands)

Party Poker NL50 (6 players)
Seat 1: CO ( $28.42)
Seat 2: Button ( $24.25)
Seat 3: Hero(SB) ( $22.29)
Seat 4: BB ( $65.25)
Seat 5: UTG ( $28.67)
Seat 6: MP ( $48.25)
Hero posts small blind (0.25)
BB posts big blind (0.50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
UTG calls (0.50)
MP folds.
CO folds.
Button folds.
Hero raises (2.75) to 3
BB calls (2.50)
UTG calls (2.50)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] (~$9)
Hero bets (19.29)
Hero is all-In.

Could this be considered standard? I thought about betting the pot on the flop but that would have left me committed and theres no way I could afford to see another diamond peel off. My only concern was that someone flopped a flush but I thought it would be worth the gamble to just push, and even if someone did flop the flush I'd still have redraws. I apologise if this is ultra standard, just would like to hear some opinions - also, if stacks were deeper what line would you take? cheers!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: NL50: QQ top set on monotone board

Just bet 8.5 and call a shove.. you blow everything out of the water that may possibly shove this flop by shoving yourself. Also, don't buy in short like this, it leaves you in spots like this where your stack is very awkward and you have no idea on what to do at any point.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM

I guess best scenario would be to get called by someone with the Ad or Kd, or even a lower set (unlikely but possible). If I bet 8.50 and both called what turn action would you recommend? shove any?? I would end up with about $10 left and a $35 pot, I can't see myself folding even if a diamond comes off. I understand your point about buying in short and while I rarely do it, I find it can help prevent me making loose calls and losing more money than I might while at work(in a video shop).
Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Yeah, shove any turn. Doesn't matter if it's a diamond, at this point you'll have way too much money invested to fold, so you should just shove.

Also, just work on your play with 100bbs, remember to stay tight and don't make loose calls. Your expectation goes up so much more when you can win $50 once and then $50+ from villains instead of a $20 chunk and then a $40 chunk.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Make a pot sized bet, worse hands will call or shove overtop, call all in or get it in on the turn.

Edit: Buy in full, see Pokey's post in the Master Sticky
Old 07-10-2007, 12:50 PM

I probably bet 8 on the flop. Any non-diamond turn I'm shoving. On diamond turns I'll decide what to do based on the number of people still in the hand. I might shove head-up as a semibluff. Three handed, I might check-call a cheap bet but check-fold to a big one or a shove.