Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Clear fold with Top pair here?

Hi,

This hand was live so I'm going to have to describe it.

£20 ($40) Live NL MTT - 70 runners
Starting Stack 1500

Down to 40 runners. Blinds 100/200

Full Table

Hero - MP2 - 3500
Villian - BB - 3700

My Cards K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded around to me I raise 600
Folded round to BB who raises to 1000 total.

I call.

Flop

Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian raises 1500 (leaving him with 1000 left)

What do I do?

My pre-flop reasoning is that a) I'm probably behind, but not by much, and I'm getting great odds to see a flop.

I put him on range of 88+ AQ+
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Clear fold with Top pair here?

Fold. I'd probably fold PF too. You just have the absolute worst hand to play vs. a miniraiser.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 AM

I think you ARE behind by much personally, and id narrow his range considerably seeing as he's only min raised you. Id say its JJ+ and AQ/AK. All those hands bar JJ have us crushed, and even given the good odds were not deep enough to be speculating. Without reads Id fold pre flop.

As played though I imagine your suddenly doubting that you wernt far behind preflop when he leads into you for this amount. If your happy with your read on him youve got to shove, what else kind of a flop were you looking for? The prudent thing would be to fold, and this is why you should probably fold preflop, hes going to lead 1gazillion% of the time and unless youve flopped two pair your really gna want to fold.

I know the feeling mate, Its horrible folding to preflop min raises, but when your starting to get short you cant really be playing in a speculative way, you need to be aggressive and decisive, and just calling behind him here is just a bit too spewy imo.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Hi there thanks for the advice,

I guess I was hoping for a lower pair, 99-JJ which I think might have been in his range.

The 1500 bet with 1000 left in his stack just felt odd to me, like he wasn't really sure what to do, wheres AQ, JJ+ would have made the play pretty clear, so I pushed all in. In the end he had AK, and rivered the 10.

I'm trying to avoid being results orientated which is why I posted this here, to figure out if
a) i was stupid but got lucky (with his hand) and then unlucky (on the river)
b) it was a marginal call and therefore based on my read a nice play, or
c) I never should have been in the damn hand in the first place

I'm leaning towards a) to be honest, as being a bit suspicious when most of his range is absolutely killing me on that flop, is not a good enough reason to put my tournament life on the line.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 PM

I think that 1500 overbet wreaks and you made a good play on the flop. It just looks like he's on a draw and he wants to commit himself with the worst hand if you don't go away.

Yeah, a lot of people, including myself, need to learn how to get out of trouble positions preflop against miniraises and the such. That range you have isn't as big as you think; I say AK (played badly) and QQ+.

Barry
Old 07-02-2007, 01:10 PM

nice push [censored] results... LOL when I was readign the post I was going to write, "Push and yell no A no T"
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 AM

Hard to put him on a range here with the miniraise...for example he made it here with AK which is just an awful play, he should've shoved
Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 AM

i open fold pre LOL (sick!) but really.

LP/CO I do the same, but when he min. raises I just ask him why he wants to bloat the pot when I'm in position and we're not deep whatsoever. ask him to his face i suppose, as it's live. also you can throw your cards in his face.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to put him on a range here with the miniraise...for example he made it here with AK which is just an awful play, he should've shoved

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ+