Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QJs vs. Donk Raise
3-bet 9 50.00%
call 3 16.67%
fold 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Default HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS GUY?!

After just winning 8M the following exchange takes place between Yang and Chad (taken from Pauly's Tao of Poker):

'When Norman Chad asked him if he was having the best day of his life, Yang mentioned that when he came to America for the first time, "It was the first day I found freedom. My family tried to escape Laos and we failed. They (communist regime) hunted us down. Then we escaped to Thailand. When I found out that we were going to America was the happiest day of my life."'

Talk about having your priorties straight! Turns out though that lots of people are upset with him 'cause he wears his faith on his sleeve...but isn't that what the freedom of this great nation allows? Maybe Pauly said it best when he went on to comment:

'"... A devout Christian and religious man like Jerry Yang can help draw positive attention to the poker community. Poker can be a conduit for goodwill. Sure it's a form of gambling, but so is beating the stock market. Heck, praying for an imaginary being (aka God) is the ultimate gamble. What's the difference between shoving all in with a Big Slick vs. a middle pair and believing in God? There is none. Both are coinflip situations. God either exists or doesn't. That's a race situation that church goers gamble with every single Sunday."'

I know one bet that's not a coin flip: having Jerry Yang as poker's ambassador for the next year...that's a slam dunk.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS GUY?!

[ QUOTE ]
After just winning 8M the following exchange takes place between Yang and Chad (taken from Pauly's Tao of Poker):

'When Norman Chad asked him if he was having the best day of his life, Yang mentioned that when he came to America for the first time, "It was the first day I found freedom. My family tried to escape Laos and we failed. They (communist regime) hunted us down. Then we escaped to Thailand. When I found out that we were going to America was the happiest day of my life."'

Talk about having your priorties straight! Turns out though that lots of people are upset with him 'cause he wears his faith on his sleeve...but isn't that what the freedom of this great nation allows? Maybe Pauly said it best when he went on to comment:

'"... A devout Christian and religious man like Jerry Yang can help draw positive attention to the poker community. Poker can be a conduit for goodwill. Sure it's a form of gambling, but so is beating the stock market. Heck, praying for an imaginary being (aka God) is the ultimate gamble. What's the difference between shoving all in with a Big Slick vs. a middle pair and believing in God? There is none. Both are coinflip situations. God either exists or doesn't. That's a race situation that church goers gamble with every single Sunday."'

I know one bet that's not a coin flip: having Jerry Yang as poker's ambassador for the next year...that's a slam dunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm skeptical that the probability of God existing is 50%.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was actually Pascal who demonstrated that believing in God is a +EV wager. After all, if you don't believe in God, you only get looked up when you're behind.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM

What makes this guy so great? So he won the main event, big deal, it's just a 50/50 anyway. You either win the main event or you don't.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was actually Pascal who demonstrated that believing in God is a +EV wager. After all, if you don't believe in God, you only get looked up when you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if believing in a personable God in a possibly impersonal universe could affect any post-death awareness in a possibly adverse way? In this scenario believing in God is a liabilty in the same way that a poor person who expects to receive charity would have an adverse affect in life.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM

Probably because it's the manner in which we react to the events that impact upon us that defines our character (or lack thereof)...
Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if believing in a personable God in a possibly impersonal universe could affect any post-death awareness in a possibly adverse way? In this scenario believing in God is a liabilty in the same way that a poor person who expects to receive charity would have an adverse affect in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it can be said that a Chrsitan post death awareness - that god will judge you, you will live in heaven- will push people to act in a more virtuous manner, this effecting the world in better and more selfless manner than man with an athiestic post death awareness. Without breaking into a full on philisophical debate, I think its fair to say that the belief in god can coorelate to a more fufilling world for both your sould and your neighbors. Not to say athiests can't be good, that is not true at all, but the belief in god can be an extra motivator for benign behavior.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly you don't spend much time in BBV, it is 50/50, he either exists or he doesn't.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Clearly you don't spend much time in BBV, it is 50/50, he either exists or he doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, I don't spend much time in BBV. Still a bad anlogy, however, given that your EV's are much different in the god-beliving/disbelieving coin flip than in the AK vrs underpair coinflip, for obvious reasons.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM

My lack of faith is clearly holding me back.

Yang:

I was in the BB with A3 and kind of short. UTG raised and someone reraised I looked at A3s in the BB and said please lord let me win this and I will forever praise you and your glory. So I shipped it with the A3. He had KK. I said please lord jesus and whoever else up there help me.

BOOM WHEEL!