Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Day 2 $1k Venetian Hand

Pretty early into Day 2. We started w/ 27 or so (300 started yesterday,) 90k for first, not much money for now.

I started the day w/ 225k or so, 3rd in chips. This old hag started with 120k or so and it disgusting to look at.

Blinds are 2k/4k w/ a 500 ante. It's been about one orbit and I haven't raised yet.

The day before I played with her for 3 hours at the end of the day. I opened a little aggressively but nothing crazy. I ran good and generally showed down strong hands in showdowns to build my stack. Also should be noted we redrew at 27 so my position on her changed for this hand.

I raise the button to 15k w/ T7o. She calls in the BB (she called a decent amount preflop, including calling one of my UTG raises yesterday out of the SB w/ QJo.)

Pot is 35k. Flop is A87r. She quickly donks about 20k into me. She has about 85k left after this bet. I?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Day 2 $1k Venetian Hand

I think I either peel one off or fold. Probably peel one off and hope she check/folds the turn if you think she is capable of donking without an A. I dunno.

A fold is probably correct. :-p
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 PM

i peel, because i really hate folding. often times i see players make illogical donk bets into A high flops against PFRs as bluffs, then shut down.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM

easy call. or shove. she's strong enough to call an all-in like never. but i'd usually wuss out and call and bet turn when she checks.

but in live tournies i almost never see someone donk with an A there. like 5% of the time they are donking it is with an A. and some people will even donk/fold A4ish. insane, yes. but true. someone limp/open folded AK to me in the 1500 pot limit yesterday after i showed down a raise with 45o from MP the hand before.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i peel, because i really hate folding. often times i see players make illogical donk bets into A high flops against PFRs as bluffs, then shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, but these aren't always illogical. nothing wrong with taking a stab here sometimes.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Fold preflop? I dunno I guess a push is good as most live players fold a weak ace here like every time, but I wouldn't be surprised if she just bet because she liked here hand level 0 thinking etc... So I dunno push or fold depending how much she seems to value her tournament life I guess, but definitely dont call.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Hard to say. Sometimes you have a very strong feeling as to whether they are going to fold a weak ace or not based on the many hours of previous play with them. Almost impossible to tell you what to do unless we were in your seat.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Is she good enough to lead with a set of 8's hoping you hit the A?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy call. or shove. she's strong enough to call an all-in like never. but i'd usually wuss out and call and bet turn when she checks.

but in live tournies i almost never see someone donk with an A there. like 5% of the time they are donking it is with an A. and some people will even donk/fold A4ish. insane, yes. but true. someone limp/open folded AK to me in the 1500 pot limit yesterday after i showed down a raise with 45o from MP the hand before.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, live players are very funny. i didn't know exactly what to put her on here, but did not feel it was a big hand (i.e., best case she has something like a good ace.)

the way she bet, it felt like she could have easily been planning to bet any flop, but then again, she was a very bad player and don't know if she ever thinks this far ahead.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is she good enough to lead with a set of 8's hoping you hit the A?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah.. she's not very good and defintely not capable of this kind of thinking. if she did bet a set, it's not on the "hope he has an ace and will go broke with it" level, its just.. i have a set zomg bet.