Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 PM

Default PS $22 - two uncharacteristic folds

Prudent play or ballless wonder? You make the call!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

Hero (t3070)
UTG (t1395)
MP1 (t1345)
MP2 (t2115)
CO (t3060)
Button (t1290)
SB (t1225)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t60</font>, Hero calls t30.

Flop: (t120) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t180</font>, Hero calls t90.

Turn: (t480) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets 240, Hero folds.

This bet was pretty much instantaneous.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1110)
SB (t1420)
BB (t1250)
Hero (t2150)
UTG+1 (t2070)
MP1 (t980)
MP2 (t940)
CO (t3580)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t20, CO calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
3 checks, UTG+1 bets 300, everybody folds.

It was a pretty limpy table, thus the UTG limp. I predict this hand will be extremely popular.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Re: PS $22 - two uncharacteristic folds

Turn: (t480) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB bets 240, Hero folds.

I hate to, but I fold with you. I'm pretty sure you ran into AK.

3 checks, UTG+1 bets 300, everybody folds.

It was a pretty limpy table, thus the UTG limp. I predict this hand will be extremely popular.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol.
an overbet. what is he afraid of? You!
Old 02-06-2006, 11:49 PM

hand 1: i reraise pre-flop. he will call the reraise with a lot of worse hands than yours and then usually give up if he misses. may also have some meta-game benefits too. and i'd push the turn. it's a blind battle - he can have any Ax here, as well as a bunch of other crap.

hand 2: don't like the limp. post-flop, i'd lead out, even into the big field. there are a lot of bad cards and if it gets checked through you're pretty unhappy about it. i don't hate the fold on the flop - it's a pretty ugly situation.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 AM

Hand 1: Nice han. Looks like you've run into 2 pair. It's early enough and your stack is deep enough that I think folding is only option.

Hand 2: I fold PF. (Check poker tracker and see if you make money with ATs UTG in level 1.) Given the limp, I lead the flop (if you are playing AT UTG, what are you looking for if not TPTK on a R board). Given the check, I still think you have the best hand (would he play a set or two pair this fast?), but I'm kind of ambivalent about where to go from here. Folding with the attitude that you should've played the first part of the hand better is not a bad line.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: I fold PF. (Check poker tracker and see if you make money with ATs UTG in level 1.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't own it. I don't think this particular situation comes up all that often. Beyond having ATs UTG, I'm also at a table where I'm reasonably convinced that I can get into a 5 or 6 way pot pretty cheap.

[ QUOTE ]
Given the limp, I lead the flop (if you are playing AT UTG, what are you looking for if not TPTK on a R board)

[/ QUOTE ]

TPTK is good and all, but having a player bet that much into me is rather perplexing. If the flop weren't rainbow I'm not checking here, but I'm not that worried about the straight draws here (perhaps I should be) and I think that with three more players to act behind it's reasonably likely to be bet behind me.

What I didn't expect was a 2.5x pot bet. At this point it's pretty much impossible to play a small pot, and I have about the worst hand that I would think about going to war with here. I'm beat by too many things for me to make a committal decision to stay with this hand, so I decided to fold.

What I'm looking for when I play hands like this isn't specific hands, it's profitable situations.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 AM

Ya. I don't disagree with your line. I just think that if you lead 2/3 pot and get raised, it's a lot easier fold. Given the check, I still think you have the best hand, but when I consider your reverse implied odds, I like your decision to wait for a better spot.
Also, I don't play Stars SnGs, so take my PF fold suggestion with a large grain of salt.