Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: WSOP player claims he folded AA on the bubble

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people care more about feeling good than they do about making money

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but those people should be getting erotic massages instead of playing in poker tournaments with a $10,000 entry fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, but what if they only paid $125 (single table Sat) to get into a $550 Mega Satallite to get their seat into the ME?

This as you and others in here who've mentioned the 10k entry fee, seem to be those who can afford to plunk that kind of money down, and not give it a 2nd thought.

Yet, if it only cost a person a grand total of $125 bucks to enter this (10k) event, and they could be paid at the very least 20k, that's a tidy sum of profit there to say the least, and could pay a lot of bills off for the average Joe/Jane who got their entry into the ME that way.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people care more about feeling good than they do about making money

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but those people should be getting erotic massages instead of playing in poker tournaments with a $10,000 entry fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, but what if they only paid $125 (single table Sat) to get into a $550 Mega Satallite to get their seat into the ME?

This as you and others in here who've mentioned the 10k entry fee, seem to be those who can afford to plunk that kind of money down, and not give it a 2nd thought.

Yet, if it only cost a person a grand total of $125 bucks to enter this (10k) event, and they could be paid at the very least 20k, that's a tidy sum of profit there to say the least, and could pay a lot of bills off for the average Joe/Jane who got their entry into the ME that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can certainly relate to that. But you should try to avoid putting yourself into situations where you're going to feel forced to make bad decisions. And folding AA on the bubble, in all but the most extreme situations, is a really bad decision. I understand the non-poker reasons why someone might want to make that decision, but the mistake is that you let yourself get into that situation in the first place.

If $10,000 is seriously a huge, life-changing amount for you, such that you'd feel compelled to give up huge gobs of EV just to lock it up, then what you should be doing with your $125 is getting into cash games or tournaments where the first prize is $10,000 in cash, as opposed to tournaments that give you a $10,000 entry to a bigger tournament. Don't play beyond your bankroll and end up making bad decisions as a result.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

there is NO disputing that if the 20K for 621st meant that much to him that he SHOULD NOT BE IN THE TOURNAMENT for 10K

[/ QUOTE ]

I am doing just fine financially. If $10K disappeared from my bank account, it would not hurt my family in the long term (and probably not the short term). I would still be upset, however, as $10K is a lot of money to me.

If I won an online satellite and was simply given the $10K to enter the WSOP (as I'm American), the fact that $10K is a lot to me doesn't mean I shouldn't play. That $10K comes with the possibility of winning $8.25 million (or $3 million or $20K), plus the experience of playing in the WSOP, which I have never had.

Why is it wrong, even though $10K is lot for me, to go play in the WSOP? I am not the greatest player in the world (far from it), but I would still try to win. Knowing this is extremely unlikely, though, I will also adjust my sights as I (hopefully) advance further into the tournament. If it's getting to be bubble time and I'm pretty short stacked, well, maybe I just try to make the money and go from there.

Because, see, if I make the money, I have turned my $10K into $20K, presumably with a minimal satellite investment. And I still have chips with which to try to money up. If I make the money and go busto within a few minutes, fine. I made $20K and had fun.

If we're on the bubble and I have a medium stack, my strategy may be different. If I'm a big stack, it may be different.

Plus, you think someone is dumb for sneaking into the money because by doubling up, they give themselves a better chance to win. Do you realize how many more chips one has to gather at that point to win the tournament? Do you realize that, if someone is in the position where they would think about folding AA, that the odds of them moving on to win millions, even after a double-up, are very, very long?

Not everyone who considers $10K a lot of money goes into the WSOP just trying to sneak into the money. But as their chip stack rises and falls, the blinds go up, and tables get shuffled, their goals and strategies may change.

I'm not saying I'd fold AA on the bubble, but I would give it consideration. It just depends on the situation.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:11 AM

There are a few players who can fold aa pre-flop, correctly or not, but there are a million players who will tell you they folded aa pre-flop, on the bubble.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:10 AM

I know I'm not a good enough NL player to win. My goal would be to make the money. If I have a bottom fourth stack, and we are 2-3 spots from the money, I'm probably going to fold every hand without looking at it until I make the money.

At least this guy knows what he wants.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 AM

Reading this trainwreck it became clear that there were a couple of people that have trouble distinguishing between "best starting hand" and "guaranteed winner."

Of course there are scenarios in which it is worthwhile to fold OMG THE BEST HAND IN POKR!1... just like there are scenarios where it is worthwhile to PLAY the worst hand in poker.

Whoever said they'd bet their kids life on it... stop being such a freaking drama queen.

The idea that you guys think there are things you should NEVER or ALWAYS do, life is gonna be hard for you to figure out.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:11 AM

This thread shows that poker will always be profitable
Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 PM

this thread = WTF ??
Old 07-21-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if my life and children's lives were on the line for me to cash...id still go all in with aces there

[/ QUOTE ]

i always knew my dad was a 2p2er
Old 07-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Say you have an M of 1.5 and are on in MP. Rest of the table comfortable, ie very little fold equity.

Figure you can fold to make at least 621st and pocket $20,320

351st is the place where you make twice that, $ 39,445

Guess it's shove and play for 1st.