Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Do you want to have children?

I was giving it some serious thought recently after a pregnancy scare with my SLF. I have only been around a baby for a total of 10-15 hours my entire life. I think that they are cute, but I am not capable of playing or talking to them. Making baby noises seems to come naturally to most people, but I could never do it. I don't find little kids very interesting and I can't see myself being one of those parents who decides to stop living their own life to dedicate it to Disney cartoons and diaper cleaning because "Isn't the baby so perfect and special!" I think human beings have a responsibility to pursue intellectual outlets and raising a child is pretty much the opposite. "Dad you only care about running your billion dollar corporation, not my third grade science project!" However, I know that having children is important to my SLF, so I feel obligated to comply in the future. The times I was around kids, I pretty much had to fake liking them and being interested in them to make their parents feel good. It would kind of suck if I had to fake liking my own child, so hopefully its different. Now that I think about, my father never seemed very interested in me. So maybe that is why I feel a lack of paternal instincts.

I am curious if anyone felt similarly and how it turned out after you had children?

Many of you are going to say that I shouldn't have children, but that doesn't seem realistic. You make commitments to people and sometimes you have to suck it up and do stuff you don't want to do.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

I don't have children so take it for it's worth; I don't think you can know what the child being "yours" will do to those feelings, chances are it would change your outlook.

I figure I'm too selfish to have kids. I'd rather have the 18-25 years alone with whoever I'd want to have the kids with than share them with someone else.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:09 AM

Other peoples children generally suck, and I'd love to kick most of them across a room.

I'll be having my first in <2 weeks. She was not expected. I felt the way you did 9 months ago. Whether or not you're a selfish person before, and I certainly was, knowing you're going to have a kid changes you. I expect actually having one will be an even greater change. Life is much more fulfilling when you're taking care of more than just yourself.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM

No. Kids are very unDude.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 AM

I cant play with them either. I just dont find them interesting before they talk/walk. However my brother has a 4 year old which is fun. I play soccer with him and some simple nitendo games. I never let him win. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 AM

No desire to have kids.

I don't relate to kids. So I can't see what they would bring to the table. I'm also successful so have no need to find my purpose via having children. I just can't think of one positive for the for side.

Now on the anti-child side I can think of many reasons why I would not want one. When I think of things that I enjoy doing all of them can't be done with children. If I had a child then I'd need a live in nanny.

Most people say you'll want children as you get older. I'm 34 and my Gf is 25 and we both are 100% sure we do not want any. I don't see this changing as we age.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:13 AM

I do. My wife wants them now, but i think we've agreed its best for her to get tenure first and the we can start. But i guess we will see. FYI, I am 26 she is 23.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 34 and my Gf is 25 and we both are 100% sure we do not want any. I don't see this changing as we age.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty funny.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 PM

I don't follow the reasoning behind: "Children don't interest me." Do people interest you? Because here's a shocker, children are...wait for it...people!

Anyways, considering how few people grow up in a stimulating, empowering environment, I think it's a pretty solid feat to provide that for a child.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:05 PM

Eventually.