Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Open-limping?

I'd just like to hear peoples' thoughts on open-limping as it was something I took out of my game a while ago, but wondered if it has its merits at micros and small stakes.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Open-limping?

It has merits in every FR game from every position.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM

Could you go into more detail please? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I appreciate it
Old 11-07-2007, 03:58 PM

The topic is so broad it's difficult to go into detail instead of just turning the question back to you. Why do you think open limping would not have merits?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM

I guess it's really a polarization issue. If you have a hand that you feel is worth investing in, why not raise and gain some FE on the flop? I understand the notion of limping behind people with hands that play better in multiway pots, but there's no guarantee of that if you're opening. Also, if you have a good hand/are in good position, wouldn't you want to start building the pot preflop?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The topic is so broad it's difficult to go into detail instead of just turning the question back to you. Why do you think open limping would not have merits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... I dig your style [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you go into more detail please? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I appreciate it

[/ QUOTE ]

Big pairs and AK can be limped early on raising tables where the unaware are raising

Any two cards can be limped from any hand on loose-passive tables where there's one or two clear calling stations.

You can open-limp any decent cards on the button where the SB/BB is a raising maniac.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's really a polarization issue. If you have a hand that you feel is worth investing in, why not raise and gain some FE on the flop? I understand the notion of limping behind people with hands that play better in multiway pots, but there's no guarantee of that if you're opening. Also, if you have a good hand/are in good position, wouldn't you want to start building the pot preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is important to note how bad getting 3-bet sucks with certain hands. As always, you should adjust to your opposition.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:36 PM

I guess a better way to phrase my question would be:

"What hands do you open-limp, and why do you limp them as opposed to raising/folding?"

Threads, this is definitely true (and I've had to fold a lot of small pairs to 3bets after raising preflop with them), but this leads to a very narrow preflop raising range and less likelihood of having your big hands paid off, no?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess a better way to phrase my question would be:

"What hands do you open-limp, and why do you limp them as opposed to raising/folding?"

Threads, this is definitely true (and I've had to fold a lot of small pairs to 3bets after raising preflop with them), but this leads to a very narrow preflop raising range and less likelihood of having your big hands paid off, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ALWAYS open-limp Axs, PP's, and SC's then yes this is true. However, if you sometimes raise those hands and sometimes l/rr your premium hands and the Axs, PP's, and SC's as semi-bluffs then you will just catch people with their pants down.

Besides, who are these opponents that you are playing against that you are more worried about picking up on your tendencies than you are exploiting them?