Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Should presidential campaign promises be enforceable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Technically speaking, promises are not contracts. Consideration ( or something of value ) has to be exchanged for a contract, verbal or written, to be enforceable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about votes? If I vote for politician A because he promises X (or an attempt to enact X) from my pov I am giving him my vote in exchange for his specific actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you have to be able to prove you voted for him?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Technically speaking, promises are not contracts. Consideration ( or something of value ) has to be exchanged for a contract, verbal or written, to be enforceable.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about votes? If I vote for politician A because he promises X (or an attempt to enact X) from my pov I am giving him my vote in exchange for his specific actions.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, still not a contract
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are. They're enforceable every four years. Ask Bush Sr.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Anyone who doesn't take campaign rhetoric with a gigantic grain of salt is a fool. Even those things that a candidate genuinely believes and genuinely wants to do, some are simply out of their control and some the facts and circumstances change.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Anyone who doesn't take campaign rhetoric with a gigantic grain of salt is a fool. Even those things that a candidate genuinely believes and genuinely wants to do, some are simply out of their control and some the facts and circumstances change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily there are enough fools though right? I think the point is, those of us who ARE aware enough to entirely dismiss the stupid crap they say want some protection against all the idiots who arent. If they were enforceable the idiots would be making the right choices, even if for the wrong reasons or despite themselves.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an awesome system you've got cooking there.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM

If you want enforceable campaign promises, you should just have ballot initiatives. And if you talk to someone from California, you'll find out that ballot initiatives suck. So, bad idea.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want enforceable campaign promises, you should just have ballot initiatives. And if you talk to someone from California, you'll find out that ballot initiatives suck. So, bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Democracy sucks, got it.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like it you can spend a few years getting like-minded people on your side and after a few more years vote in representatives at the local, state, and federal levels who after many years of work will change the laws so that terms are shorter or campaign promises are enforceable. The system is perfect.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like it you can spend a few years getting like-minded people on your side and after a few more years vote in representatives at the local, state, and federal levels who after many years of work will change the laws so that terms are shorter or campaign promises are enforceable. The system is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall, its actually a pretty good thing that system works slowly, which is as intended by the framers of the Constitution. Do you really want instant policy changes based on the inane idea of the week?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you proposing something where a candidate can't take into account changing circumstances or one where president's are given more power so that they can fulfill their promises?