Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

I could have a much larger list depending how far we looked back. Yesterday I crashed in front of the TV and watched:

Spawn: IMDB: 1997: I know if might not be a good movie but I have a soft spot for it.

Plot: An assassin named Al Simmons is double-crossed and murdered by his evil boss Jason Wynn. Al makes a deal with the devil and returns to earth as Spawn to see his wife. He is ordered by the devil's minion, The Clown, to kill Wynn. Wynn has made a deal with the clown too and is suppose to destroy the world with a deadly virus that will help start Armageddon and allow Hell to attack Heaven. Spawn must choose between Good & Evil.

Demolition Man: IMDB: 1993: I hadn't fully caught the entire movie until last night. I don't remember the reaction to it when it first came out, I remember seeing the posters at the theater but I was too young. As of now it reminds me of "Independence Day. At the time was top of the line but now has the same level of effects, story as a made for TV movie.

Plot: Frozen in 1996, Phoenix, a convicted killer is "thawed" out for parole well into the 21st century. Revived into a crime free society, Phoenix resumes his murderous rampage, and no one can stop him. Spartan, the cop who captured Phoenix in 1996 has also been cryogenically frozen, this time for a crime he didn't commit. In desperation they turn to Spartan to help recapture Phoenix.

Underworld: IMDB : 2003: Finally got to see the whole movie, only had been able to catch bits and pieces up to this point. Lots of gun fire and stylish leather. I'll probably pick it up on DVD since it will be nice and cheap.

Plot: A war has been raging between the Vampires and Lycan for centuries, Selene (Beckinsale) is a death dealer, assigned to hunt down and eradicate the last of the Lycan. When she comes across Michael Corvin(Speedman)who holds the key to end the war she must decide where her alligances will lie.

By the end of the day I will be able to add To Hell and Back: The Audie Murphy Story, and The Sands of Iwo Jima

By the end of the week I will also have the James Bond Ultimate Collection Volume 2 finished.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:50 AM

Very nice contribution Five-Star. I like Demolition Man! Keep those reviews coming [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 06:39 PM

Saw Little Children last night.
Great movie. The narration made me feel like I was watching Desperate Housewives but other than that, the movie is solid. Great performances and a story that flows at a perfect pace. I really enjoyed this movie, one of the best of 2006.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Sands of Iwo Jima: IMDB: 1949:

I've been looking for this movie for a while and yesterday I just happened to find it as I was grocery shopping last night (wal-mart, it's the closest thing to post) I just finished watching it and I am surprised on many levels. There was more to the stories than I thought. I always thought it was just a war and combat movie, but there is more to it than that. Secondly, something about John Wayne's character. So not to spoil: <font color="white"> I didn't realize he died. I only thought he had died in "The Cowboys", as I was told the only movie he died in. </font> It was a really good movie. I enjoyed the splicing of real life footage in there as well. I'd recommend it. This is keeping my John Wayne collection growing.

Plot: Marine sergeant John Stryker seems a martinet and a bully as he trains young Marines for combat in the Pacific war. In the end, as survival in the bloody battle of Iwo Jima depends on the lessons Stryker has drilled into them, his troops discover why he was so hard on them

Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 PM

To Hell And Back: 1955: IMDB: Audie Murphy is actually a pretty good actor. I'm in the middle of the the book actually, so it's amusing to watch the film. It ended a lot sooner than I thought it would.

Plot: The true WWII story of Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in U.S. history. Based on the autobiography of Audie Murphy who stars as himself in the film.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 PM

Took my duaghter to see Bridge to Terrabithia today, while my son was in school.

"Jess Aarons is an 11-year-old boy, aiming to be the fastest runner in his grade, until the new girl, Leslie Burke, shows up and proves that she can run faster than all of the boys. Despite their athletic rivalry, the two become friends and share their vast imaginations with each other, ultimately creating the world of Terabithia, a magic kingdom hidden deep in the woods, where they must battle the Dark Master. Based on the bestselling book."

I have to track down the book and read it, now that I've seen this movie. I was a bit confused why they had a major plot twist that took this from a fun/imaginative adventure, in a morbid direction, and was looking forward to a different ending. My daughter expressed a similar feeling about the abruptness of the change.

Overall, we had a bunch of things to talk about after the movie, would give it a thumbs up, and will be adding it to my extensive movie library.

DB, one for the kids...
Old 02-26-2007, 08:37 AM

"Both Bridge and Gilly grew out of real life experiences. I wrote Bridge because our son David's best friend, an eight-year-old named Lisa Hill, was struck and killed by lightning. I wrote the book to try to make sense out of a tragedy that seemed senseless." - Katherine Paterson

Here's the description of the book, pulled off the Author's website...

[ QUOTE ]
Jess Aarons had to be the Fastest runner at Lark Creek Elementary School, the best, but when he was challenged by Leslie Burke, a girl, that was just the beginning of a new season in Jess's life. Leslie and her parents were new comers to the rural community where Jess Lived, and were thought to be a bit odd, for they didn't even own a TV, though their house was filled with books. Some-what to Jess's surprise, he and Leslie became friends, and the worlds of imagination and learning that she opened to him changed him for ever. It was Leslie's idea to create Terabithia, their secret Kingdom in the woods where they reigned supreme. There no enemy - not their teacher Monster Mouth Meyers, their schoolmates Gary Fulcher and Janice Avery, Jess's Four sisters, or even Jess's own fears and Leslie's imaginary foes - could defeat them. The Legacy that Leslie finally brought to Jess enabled him to cope with the unexpected tragedy that touched them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bridge to Terabithia wiki

Bridge to Terabithia SparkNotes

Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 AM

I wanted to see this before the Oscars and on the big screen so on Sunday afternoon to the theater I went. I thought it was very good and probably a little ahead of The Departed in my personal ranking of the Best Picture nominees. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a war movie from the point of view of the losers and where the characters all had such a sense of inevitable defeat. Eastwood masterfully walks that line where you're not cheering for the Japanese soldiers to kill Americans, but you're really sympathizing with them and wanting them to find a way to escape the situation. Visually great with some superb acting. Very good movie in a year with not much competition that I'd consider great.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shopgirl

I agree! I rented this movie after reading Dom's review. I went into it with low expectations because I don't always like Steve Martin. I could not have been more pleased. Claire Danes is just wonderful. I could really relate to her Mirabelle - she gives a very real performance of a nice girl falling for an older man. I think a lot of girls can relate to this movie. I know I can.

I guess quite a few of the guys on the forum found it boring. I thought it was really touching.

Check out what Dom wrote. He gives an excellent review:

Dom's Review of Shopgirl

[/ QUOTE ]

glad you liked it!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Babel: Overall good movie, like how it made you kinda piece everything together and look for clues as to what was really going on....also made me make the statement "I think Brad Pitt is the Robert Redford of his generation", he reminded me tons of him in this

The Hills Have Eyes
: Utterly fantastic nonsense...one of the better horror/suspense movies I have seen in a while...and I need to get me a dog like that....

Children of Men - OK movie didnt really know much except the general concept going in, shot very nicely...probably wont see again though

Hannibal Rising Meh...the guy who plays Hanibal is supposedly a fantatsic young foreign actor, but it seems they pigeonholed him into the dumb grin he had on his face the whole time, and not the smooth killing machine he grows up to be...but I guess it might be what a headcase could be like growing up.

Smokin Aces enjoyable action fare that delivers everything its trying to sell, Piven is great as the guy there all tryin to kill...terrible terrible ending though
Closed Thread