Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Contributing to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

[ QUOTE ]
Is Byron Jacobs going to continue his heads-up series that started in July?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had an e-mail discussion with Bryon in which I proposed the "100 Hands" idea.

It was very difficult to make a submission of his work. Like other articles I've read, it tried to cram too much into a 1,000-2,000 word essay. It just isn't possible to describe an overall comprehensive heads-up strategy in an article or two.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:45 AM

HoH2 has a few HU matches shown hand by hand. I found these to be extremely helpful. Most HU battles on TV only show the "most exciting" 10 or so hands. To see every hand and every decision is a much better learning aid as it gives a more complete view of both players strategies and thinking.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HoH2 has a few HU matches shown hand by hand. I found these to be extremely helpful. Most HU battles on TV only show the "most exciting" 10 or so hands. To see every hand and every decision is a much better learning aid as it gives a more complete view of both players strategies and thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I think Harrington gave a pretty good analysis, with a couple minor exceptions.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HoH2 has a few HU matches shown hand by hand. I found these to be extremely helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what would be even more helpful for you- writing an alalysis (article) of your own heads-up play. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Heads-Up Limit Texas Hold \'em

I wouldn't mind co-authoring an article on heads-up limit holdem, but I don't have enough time to spare to do it all by myself (nor is English my first language).

As for credentials, the poker AI I created won the 2nd place in the first AAAI Computer Poker Competition (at the Twenty-First National Conference on Artificial Intelligence): http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~pokert/

It was a heads-up limit Texas Holdem competition, and I had done substantial amount of research and testing on this particular form of poker. My software combined "expert" knowledge and game theory making it very strong opponent against players from any skill level. However, it's biggest weakness is that it does not adapt to different opponents and different playing styles, so it doesn't get the maximum value from bad players. I also have a freely downloadable version of it (as a Poker Academy plugin) on my website bluffbot.com so people can try their skills against it.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've floated an idea to several posters which I'd like to propose to the whole forum.

I want to publish a series of heads-up articles basically titled "100 Heads-Up Hands". The articles would have the author playing an unknown opponent and document the first 100 hands in a session. The point of the article is to show how a read is established in a heads-up setting against the unknown opponent and how you adjust your play based on that read.

The exact # of hands in the article is obviously flexible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good idea.

My suggestion:
A good player plays a random player, and afterwards comments his thought process, using the information available as he played the hand. Later another good player comments on both' players play.

This could be done several months, ideally to show how to play vs different player types.

Alternativly you could have two good players playing eachother and commenting on what they do, and why they do what they do in realtime.(First you see how player A plays, and only sees his cards and his comments as the hand is played out. Followed by showing player B's card and his reasoning through the hand)
Old 09-15-2006, 06:15 PM

From another thread. I guess what is good enough for Ed isn't good enough for "Dynasty". Since Jacobs wouldn't write his article in the way Dynasty wanted he rejected it.
A well respected poker author rejected by some board mod with delusions of grandeur. "Dynasty" indeed.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will you continue your HU series in the 2+2 online mag? would be awesome!

wolf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I’d love to. Ed was very keen and commissioned me to write a whole series of articles on heads up play. The first was published in the July issue. However, the new editor has rejected my second article, so I guess its not going to happen.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From another thread. I guess what is good enough for Ed isn't good enough for "Dynasty". Since Jacobs wouldn't write his article in the way Dynasty wanted he rejected it.
A well respected poker author rejected by some board mod with delusions of grandeur. "Dynasty" indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The voices of the readers were heard and Jacobs article was included in the October issue which went up earlier today.

There is also a very interesting double-article by Richard Elks on heads-up NLHE play. So, heads-up hold 'em was very strongly represented in this issue.

I'm still hoping to receive many more submissions from all of you.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 PM

I expect Byron Jacob's heads-up series to continue in the January issue. It had looked like he would make it into the December issue. But, he was simply too busy to complete his submission.

Besides Jacobs' upcoming articles, I haven't got any prospects. So, I'd like to re-encourage posters here to consider a "35 heads-up hands" article.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:41 PM

dynasty,

i support your call for HU LHE articles. i am in no way qualified to write one but would love to read a smart article written by somebody else [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bbbu