Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Putting greens

I just started playing golf, so I am a very poor putter. The place I go has plenty of practice greens, but I would like something for home.

Is this a good Idea? I don't see how it could be bad. Also any recommendations on what to get? I'm looking to spend under $80. Cheaper is better, but most important is how much it will help. Should I just go to Walmart or something?

I have one in mind I found online, but not sure if posting a link would be OK. Also feel free to PM me links if thats the case.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Putting greens

[ QUOTE ]
but most important is how much it will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't become a better putter until I improved my stroke mechanics. A straight-back, straight-through pendulum stroke is where it's at. If you've got a punchy stroke with no follow through (common among beginners) putting balls on a mat isn't necessarily going to do you any good. In fact it can hurt you. Dave Pelz (short-game guru) says that bad practice is worse than no practice.

I'm not saying that a putting mat is a bad idea, but just don't neglect your preshot routine or your mechanics.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM

sync,

I don't see how posting the link would be bad, for the purposes of discussion.

At home I have a fairly cheap ($20? Can't remember) mat that has 3', 5', and 7' hash marks and is raised at the hole to catch balls. It's helpful for the straight back, straight thru stroke because there are hash marks to approximate the length and angle of the stroke for each distance (7' is longer LDO). The follow-thru hash is longer than the take-back hash which follows the school of thought that the follow-thru should be ~2X as long as the take back (helps with not jabbing or decelerating).

I've found it helpful, I'm just too lazy to use it a lot. And for $20 or whatever I've certainly gotten my money's worth.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM

So tuq, are you saying it has hash marks that work as visual aids? Telling you how to hit the ball? Something like this would probably be more useful than something to just put on. Mind telling me what you have or help find something similar?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:40 PM

sync,

It is just a grass mat with white spray paint for the lines and numbers. It's fine for me because the overwhelming balance of your putts are going to be from <10 feet, that's what you want to focus on. Anyway, the hash marks are about the same width apart as a standard putter, the goal of which is to follow them on your take back and follow through for a nice, square stroke.

People are right when they say it's bad to practice your mistakes, but this is a cheap way to give yourself muscle memory on both the line and the length of the stroke. I'm sure there's better, more expensive (and possibly less expensive) alternatives.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM

I've been using a pint glass and the one patch of carpeting in my apt. Works for me.