Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 08:31 PM

Default .02/.05 cent help

Alright, I'm new to the game and willing to learn, perhaps you guys can help me here...

SB has a VPIP of 36

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $10
UTG: $2.25
UTG+1: $12.10
UTG+2: $11.13
MP1: $2.06
MP2: $4.97
CO: $10.99
BTN: $4.38
SB: $7.83

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG calls $0.05, UTG+1 calls $0.05, 3 folds, CO calls $0.05, BTN folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.25</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.50</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $0.50, <font color="red">SB raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.60</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $7.78 and is All-In</font>

Results: $3.95 Pot ($3.95 Rake)

I know I min-betted and should not have, I am still learning.
Now my question lies in how I can accuratly determine his range...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: .02/.05 cent help

I know this doesn't answer your question specifically, but if you have the bankroll to buy in max at 5nl (200 bbs) I would suggest you buyin full at 10nl (100 bbs). Being deepstacked complicates a lot of situations and it sounds like you may not be prepared for it.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 PM

Sometimes you have to think about what might happen when you raise like. I think you should have flat called 3bet unless you were ready to go the rest of the way.

At least with flat call with your med/strong holdingsand a loss in hand you gain some good info to use at a later date. Call next time...
Old 10-21-2007, 09:04 PM

That's a monster rake you have to overcome.

Fold to his push. He has a set/QJ nearly every time. Don't minraise the turn either. If you're going to 4bet, make it bigger.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Yeah, btw, as soon as I relized that I was deep stacked I moved to real 10nl, I made a stupid mistake thinking because max buyin was 10 it was nl 10...
Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, btw, as soon as I relized that I was deep stacked I moved to real 10nl, I made a stupid mistake thinking because max buyin was 10 it was nl 10...

[/ QUOTE ]

The other thing you can do if you find you need to move down is only buy in for 100BB rather than the artificial table max.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:32 AM

PF: Standard

Flop: Standard

Turn: He bets 25, you raise to at least 75, possibly a dollar. You want to make draws pay and find out where your at.

When he reraises your raise, its pretty much over. At that point you know its set/straight/higher 2 pair. At that point his range is almost all above you.

But certainly, you should have raised him to 3$ish if you were going to 4 bet (which you shouldn't)

Obvious fold when he shoves.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 AM

I think an important lesson I learned from NL5 was that most villains raise it means that they can beat top pair (and mostly over pairs too). So if top pair isn't enough, then top+bottom is the next strongest hand and very marginal. That said I'm not really sure what I would have done myself. After the raise to $1 I'd had called and looked for a cheap showdown I think..

I miss NL5, I thought it was wonderful to play deepstack against people who go broke with top pair, although on Party the max buy-in was $5. NL10 wasn't as fun by a long shot, half the table are short which kills your implied odds.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 AM

I think the main lesson learned from this hand is. If you're 4betting (raising, being raised, then raising back) then you've got to be doing it with a hand that you're willing to get all-in with.

As for putting him on range the things I think you need to consider are this. He's loose preflop (VPIP 36%), and he limped in. A preflop raise stat would help too.

As he limped in I think it's fairly safe to assume he hasn't got one of the premiuim hands like AA/KK/QQ. Some people limp AK, but you need to look at his PFR stat to decide if that's the case here or not. Aside from that it's hard to say, he just completed from the SB after a whole bunch of limpers, which a high VPIP guy would maybe do with any two cards. So you've got next to zero info on his range preflop.

He checked the flop. That would lead me to think he's either on a draw (wants to see the next card for free) or he's slowplaying a monster (a monster in his eyes that is). I think most people would bet a king here, simply because it's an okay hand, but most people would realise it's not good enough to slowplay.

So from the action on the flop I think you can remove AK from his range but that still leaves a whole bunch of questions. One way to narrow down his range is to bet, he'll fold/call/raise and you'll get a better idea of the strength of his hand and everyone elses that way. Here betting would be bad though because you've only got 3rd pair.

The turn. He bet out the size of the pot. I think this can mean one of two things. Either the ace has helping him or he was trying to check/raise the flop with a percieved monster but failed and is trying to get his chips in now.

I doubt he has a single pair of aces because he's raising too aggressively. Like I said before he probably made something good on the flop or the ace completed his draw, so there's not much you beat that would explain his betting line, unless he made 2 pair on the flop with something like KT and was trying to slowplay. The thing is, you've got to think about a range (which you're doing), and the two pairs that you now beat make up only a very slim part of that range. He's laying you poor pot odds, so you can't call because the hands you beat don't make up a large enough proportion of his range.

The reverse of that is true though. Let's say he bet one dollar into an 8 dollar pot. You've got to call one dollar to potentially win a ten dollar pot. You can think "If I beat him more than one time in ten calling is good here". So if you imagine you beat only 10% of his range you can still call in that example.

I might be explaining how to suck eggs here, it's probably too simple to bother pontificating about really. I do hope some part of that helps though.

If it's TLDR:

Fold, he's got a better hand than you.